Progression Levels - duration weighting?

Sorry if I’ve missed it, but can’t see this in any FAQ.

Are Progression Levels weighted based on duration? E.g. I could “artificially” boost my PL by doing 30 minute workouts without, perhaps, being able to do the same PL for 60 or 90 minute workouts.

I like doing 30 or 45 minute workouts when short on term but don’t want to be digging a hole for myself over longer durations.

Cheers in advance.

Yes, repeatability and time in zone are key parts of progression levels, and there are limits as to how many intervals you can squeeze into a short time.

Certainly TR do a good job of making short workouts challenging by trimming to warmup/cooldown, slightly increasing intensity and shortening recovery intervals. When it comes to anaerobic, VO2Max and threshold workouts, you can still achieve pretty challenging progression levels in 30-45 minutes. When it comes to endurance, tempo or sweetspot, you just can’t achieve the same challenge in 30 minutes as you can in 60 or 90 minutes.

But even a 30 minute endurance workout is better than sitting on the couch. DOn’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

2 Likes