Loana got there on Monday, but she is currently planning to race.
Another name to watch is Mona Mitterwallner. She looked comfortable in the mud in Nalles
No, I think you’re right, but she was more comfortable with the Nalles course than I expected given what it had to offer. I think there’s still a pretty steep drop off in the women’s field for technical ability so I expect her to feature if she can move through the field. My assumption is that she won’t be in the XCC race as she won’t have heaps of Elite UCI points.
Mona is an absolute beast, and it would not surprise me at all if she was on podiums this year. She did win every U23 XCO race last year, and the marathon world champs after all?
Sorry, who were you referring to here?
Edit, I assume you were talking about Mona? I don’t know how the process works, but she shouldn’t have an issue getting into XCC. It’s either rollover of U23 points, or just total UCI points, but either way it should be fine. We always see the top U23 riders in the short track races a la Haley Batten last year in her first year Elite.
Yes, talking about Mona. I’m not sure how the points system works for carrying over the U23 results etc, only that Pidcock didn’t start the first XCC race even as U23 (and E-Bike) World Champ.
I hope for her sake she does start it. She doesn’t look like a huge XCC powerhouse, but looks can be very deceiving. Either way, this course will definitely reward good starting position.
I think in Pidcock’s case, he hadn’t done much racing other than the championships (I’d need to look for sure), so just didn’t have a lot of total points. I went on a search through the internets to try and clear it up, but only left more confused.
Haha, yeah. I didn’t delve too deeply. It’s easier once they get to the World Cups and it’s just the top 40.
It’s like with the Olympics etc where riders and countries can get points at lower level racing. Hard to follow it all.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcBLncclTc7/?utm_medium=copy_link
Looks like she will be in the XCC for sure. Ranked ninth before Nalles (which to be honest seems to high, but again, I don’t know which races count towards it). She’s in a great position to have a great race/debut in the Elite XCO WC circuit)
How is it too high? She won all U23 World Cups and U23 Worlds. She’s the Elite XCM champion and she has won several UCI races against Elites. She probably would have podiumed at the Olympics too if she was allowed to compete.
I’m just saying it’s surprising to see how many points are accumulated from U23 to Elite. I don’t know exactly how the crossover goes from XCM to XCO either.
I don’t doubt her credentials or potential. Just find the system surprising. I’m not disappointed to see her ranked so high.
So are the races going to be on Red Bull or the new provider I forgot to check on? Go Haley!!!
The races are on Red Bull for this season Next year it will be on to the new provider.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CcD6fBkOb6a/?utm_medium=copy_link
Check out the gap jump at the start of this clip!
Such a cool looking course.
I saw a post on a generic MTB page with a girl landing on the front wheel and riding down the landing and off the trail (fortunately not eating it over the bars). It looked like the Brazil course, but I couldn’t be sure.
There’s a definite risk of some fatigue induced carnage. Or also just some hesitancy induced carnage like we almost had at the Olympics when Neff had to dodge a pausing PFP.
They changed the drops so they can be rolled. I haven’t seen footage but some pics on MTBR. Henrique Avancini is not at all happy about it.
100% agree. Provide a B and/or C line and let us watch the incredible racing that a course like this will prove.
I can only imagine Henrique’s frustration. He and his club seem to have put a monumental amount of effort into the course and event.
It’s the MVDP rule. All UCI XCO race course drops will now be roll-able.
They’ll take it away just before the start!
Oh no. Covid/a nasty bug is ripping through Petrolopolis.
Anton and Jolanda out of XCC. Presumably the rest of the Trek team have been exposed. Hopefully it doesn’t destroy the field before Sunday.
