My old computer died and I switched to a new computer and all of the sudden my power numbers changed quite a bit and I do not know why. Has anyone encountered anything like this? Granted I am using an old powerbeam pro and a legacy version of TR.
How are you judging the comparison, before and after?
Are you using identical equipment (bike, tire, pressure, trainer roller pressure) all the same other than the computer?
Are you calibrating the trainer?
How are you judging the comparison, before and after? reading from old computer to new, before and after yes
Are you using identical equipment (bike, tire, pressure, trainer roller pressure) all the same other than the computer? Yes, equipment is exactly the same and tire pressure is as far as I know the same
Are you calibrating the trainer? I did calibrate it but I will say I had not done so for a while prior to the new computer a long while
Calibrations are definitely important, but it’s never a bad idea to reach out to support so they can help make sure your computer is on the most current TrainerRoad version, help check your devices for firmware updates, etc. You can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org, or submit a request online!
- Right, but compared to what?
- Your perception of the power values? What if any metrics are you using besides “feel”?
- That is potentially problematic. The trainer is only as accurate as the calibration. With wheel-on trainers, there is no guarantee for consistency over time.
- Calibrating them each and every ride is recommended for best results. With that much time between, it is sure a potential place for the issue to have happened.
Right, but compared to what? compared to the numbers previously and the actual feel
- Your perception of the power values? What if any metrics are you using besides “feel”? The actual numbers and feel felt far more difficult.
I am wondering now because prior to the new computer I had not calibrated it in a very long time(very long and I know now that was foolish) if that was the issue and the prior numbers were just not accurate and now they are which would be great. From now on I will calibrate prior to all rides
I would re-inflate the tire rather than just assuming it’s the same and making sure the roller is at an okay distance to the wheel. I had my power numbers drop drastically even in highest gear, turns out my tire had just a lot of pressure and re-inflating it fixed everything. Went from topping out at 350W in highest gear to not being able to top out in highest gear.