Polarized Training Discussion (Fast Talk podcast & Flo Cycling podcast)

• I wear a mix of Pearl Izumi Elite and PRO bibs.
  • I see two parts to the question.
  1. Comfort: Related to the comment above, riding inside is often far less comfortable than outside. I feel the biggest reason is the lack of motion on most trainers. The rigid nature of nor.al trainers overloads sit bones and support tissue in an unnatural way.

• Adding motion via a rocker plate or the original Kinetic Rock and Roll relieves this pressure and allows more natural rider motion in the saddle. This can greatly improve comfort and redice.the strain, which allows for longer rides inside.

• It also makes standing efforts more natural than riding. This encourages more standing efforts for saddle pressure relief as well as changes to muscle loading, both of which can extend time on the trainer.

2. Actual work/rest ratios and return on trainer time vs outside are debated. I don’t think it is likely double in most cases, but I do think a 10-25% bonus is very possible inside. That will depend on the rider, trainer, and their typical ride outside, but I bet there is more efficiency in most cases.

Here is a related thread on the topic.

1 Like