Polarized Adaptations from Base to Build

how to access polarised build? There seems to be only 2 options of the polarised - 6 & 8 weeks. No distinguished base/build

The 8-week polarized plan replaces sweet spot base 1 + 2 and the 6-week plan build.

If you want to use it with Adaptive Training and as part of a training plan, create your training plan with Plan Builder, but don’t look for polarized anywhere. You’ll get sweet spot base 1 + 2 and one of the build plans (e. g. general build) instead. Then in the calendar, you must select the first week of each block, and there you have an option to swap out e. g. sweet spot base for the polarized plan.

1 Like

Many thanks for the information

1 Like

Other way around though, the 6 week block replaces Base (x2 for 12 weeks) and the 8 week block replaces Build.

3 Likes

I stand corrected, thanks. :slight_smile:
In any case, if you use Plan Builder, it’ll do the right thing.

1 Like

Please, TR… change the name of the POL plans. We have yet another example of confusion here.

Just name them Polarized Base and Polarized Build so it is painfully obvious. This issue has happened too many times and needs to be addressed.

Is this on the Request list already, @IvyAudrain ?

Edit to add this for reference and my suggestions:

10 Likes

But in case of POL plans, does it even make sense to distinguish base and build phase? To my untrained eye they look same (HV): Tue is VO2max, Fri is Threshold, rest is Endurance. Only difference is how long block you want and/or how frequent recovery week :thinking:

Same goes about SSB1 and SSB2. With personal PL changes, these blocks can be really similar.

1 Like
  • As of now, I think the answer is ‘Yes’.

A quick skim between the current Pol Base & Builds (Mid is what I am checking) shows some notable differences, especially in the Sunday workouts (super long at the 2nd half of Build), but elsewhere too.

They are similar in many ways (most of the ‘hard’ days from what I see), but different in just enough (including the 6 vs 8 week timing & Sundays mentioned above) that I think there is at least a reasonable cause to label them differently. I can’t speak to whether those differences are right or wrong in the context of POL specifically, but they are not the same or swappable in my eyes.

• That seems quite an assumption that PL will somehow balance both phases.

• Presumably, they have specific goals in mind with each SSB phase, and have that essence programmed into the adaptations. The default plans are unique, and I expect they aim to keep the intended benefits and loading similar even with adaptations applied.

• Yes, speculation on my part, but unless someone is having a really bad time and AT is somehow not working well for them, I can’t see the two SSB blocks being “the same” unless something is really off the rails.

I think those differences you see are personal to you i.e. even before adding to calendar, those plans are already adapted to you. I’m at last loading week of POL6HV and looking at both POLHV plans, first 3 weeks are exactly same for me. Although, you’re probably right about Sunday’s long Z2, I have always done 5hr+ rides so AT simply can’t go much higher for me.

Anyway, what made me think that with AT it does not matter was actually SSB1 block before POL6: as SS PL increase was quite fast, in the end SSB1 looked basically same as another iteration of SSB1 or SSB2.

• Maybe, but I suspect that is unlikely. Grab a screen shot and I will do the same:

Here is what I get for my 6-Week Pol High Vol (Base):

Here are my current PLs for reference:

1 Like

EDIT: changed plan from MV → HV to match your pasted image.
Huh, even our hours/week are different

1 Like

Maybe, but until you actually proceed through SSB2 and see how AT handles it, we simply don’t know if it would mimic SSB1 or be a unique version of SSB2, tailored to your PL’s.

OT: Sorry for the MV > HV swap after posting. I tend to look at MV for most of my reviews, but noticed you mention HV and made the swap to align with that.

Back on track:

• Very interesting, indeed. I did not expect to see differences there. But it seems that they may well be “tweaking” the default plans displayed for more “current state” viewing.

Passing this along to the team right away!

1 Like

Much appreciated! :smiley:

1 Like

About a month or two ago I noticed that workouts were adapted to current PLs when putting a plan on the calendar. Noticed because it was surprising to see .8 IF ‘sweet spot’ workouts in SSB, because I had been receiving no PL credit from riding outside. Doing that makes sense, but has some implications if your PLs are not accurate.

Yeah, it is nice in the sense that a person gets a more accurate and up to date expectation of what they will get if they apply a plan to their calendar. Probably better than what I expected (and was the case at least for part of the ‘old days’ of AT) where you saw a default setup, applied to the calendar, and then AT triggered adaptations immediately to give something that might be very different.

As you mention, this would all drive from PL’s, so that will have a certain impact when looking at different use cases. New users with default (or reset) 1.0 for all would see one thing, while others with higher PL’s for whatever reason (no recent FTP change in particular) could see something quite different.

Presumably it would all get adjusted as each user proceeds through the plan, gets their performance and sets their survey response, but it is interesting none the less.

1 Like

You have reached Endurance PL 9.1?!?!
I hope you did your training rides outdoors (I think the lowest PL 9+ workout is 4:30 hours long).

Yeah, no matter which phase is going on, I always switch Sunday rides with Z2 progression (4h → 6h, with weekly 30min increments). Those are always outdoors indeed. If weather turns too bad, max that I can do indoor is 3hr.

With ramp test PL reset, Z2 does not go down too much. If I remember correctly, with 3% FTP bump it went down to ~7. It’s decay is also slower compared to other zones

1 Like

Same here. I think I might have done 3:30 hours on my trainer once, but indoors I usually get pretty antsy by the 2:30-hour mark and am happy when 3-hour workouts are over.

1 Like