Physical and emotional struggles on the bike

There’s so much to say about this topic. Lack of motivation is common. Why are the majority of adults obese (and discontent)? Self help: Think of cycling as your drug (as opposed to alcohol, we all need dopamine); it’s your me time; it’s healthy for you now and in the long run; it clears your mind of stress and negative thought patterns; carve out the number of time blocks you can do per week and stick to it - don’t budge on your commitment; think of your bike time in terms of time blocks, forget wattage numbers and mileage; find rout(s) you enjoy the most and stick to those (avoid traffic); periodically treat yourself to some new gear for the bike; always remember why you enjoy cycling - the freedom and escape from the daily grind it affords!

2 Likes

I’m not an excessive drinker or an alcoholic, don’t worry :wink: Thanks the the advice and reply though!

@timnorman I’m going through the deepest slump in decades right now. I Quit riding August 1st and as of today I’d rather clean the bathrooms than ride my bike let alone train. In my case I tried to extend my June peak into August to compete at nationals. The August date was not announced until June IIRC…anyways I over did it with way too much intensity for the sleep/recovery I was getting due to a very busy backside of the clock work schedule. Rookie mistake on my part.

I’ve been here before. It will pass. I’m doubling up in the gym getting a head start on strength/core for 2022. Also, for me, it’s a great time to get lean as I can really focus and manage the calorie deficit easier with no cardio.

The one constant mistake I’ve made in my training for decades is riding while not properly rested. For example I can do 700-800 TSS rested month after month. Take an hour or two less sleep/day and 700-800 will put me in the hurt locker quickly. Point is, I do a good job tracking every metric on the the bike but, take rest for granted.

8 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I hope you’re able to get through your tough period :muscle:

1 Like

I definitely feel your pain… depression. Don’t disregard any other suggestions, I’m only adding this in due to having my own experience with it the past 5 years, and continual testing…until finally!!! When you go to your doctor, definitely ask for a Thyroid test… and not just a regular Thyroid test… they don’t say enough or can be misleading. It actually took a naturopathic doctor to request mine, but lets just say I’ve lost faith in my normal doctor unfortunately. They will specifically need to test your T3 and T4 levels of your Thyroid. I was always brain fatigued, and … depressed, which I thought was overtraining even when I wasn’t training much. They finally discovered that I produced very little T4 at 48 yrs, and 0 T3… Their words were “not enough people get this tested, and the result is suicides”. It’s unfortunately one of the hidden issues that may surface with our bodies. Just a recommendation as I read your post and worry for you, I hope its something else

5 Likes

What does the treatment plan look like for low T3/T4? Supplements? Dietary changes?

I’m struggling right now just because the air quality in Bend has been so bad for the past month or so I’ve been kept from being on any sort of regular schedule - and for me, indoor riding (which I’ve been kept from doing on the worst days) isn’t a fair substitute for getting the sunlight and release I need, even if it is “better” for training consistency. Staying motivated to eat well and stuff as been tough. But I know this isn’t forever and I’ll be getting back after it again shortly…

I hate the Ramp Test. I know TR’s working hard to get AT to a point where Ramp Tests are no longer needed, but I think it can’t come soon enough. IMHO, a Ramp Test burns a mental match that would better be saved for a race. Maybe even worse… think about it this way: when going into a ramp test, you’re basically telling yourself you HAVE to set a PR, and you only have one crack at it. At least in a race, you often have more than one opportunity to gap your opponents.

I’d rather just do a threshold workout to confirm my FTP if I have to.

Your previous test was 250w, and your latest test was 205w. My guess is that you tested high before and tested low now. The actual difference is probably much less drastic than you think, maybe 10-15 watts in both directions? Hard to say, but you’re not being fair to yourself by comparing your best effort to what you may consider your worst effort.

It’s September. I’m going back to base soon, as are many others. Maybe focus on something other than power for a few months. I’m focusing on volume/mileage, rather than power/speed.

2 Likes

I normally take “training breaks”. I just ride my bike for fun. I also do other things like run and rock climb.

I miss my depression. I am a weakling without it :rofl:

(Seriously, I perform best when I am at my worst)

2 Likes

It is actually prescribed meds by your doctor, and it’s a process of working your way up from a low dose of Cytomel & Synthroid until your levels are healthy. There are more natural ways that help your Thyoid like Adrenal Pro, Thyroid Pro and Purica Vitality… which I use. But as I had no levels of T3 in particular, I also needed prescription meds… To be honest, I didn’t know what “darkness” I was in. I was only a shell of a body … mentally not there at all and no feelings. It almost cost me my wife, my job… and my life. Even then… no idea. Once it was found and I was on the healing path, I couldn’t believe, still can’t… what I didn’t feel, care or notice was going on with and around me

1 Like

After confirming your health is fine take a step back a bit. With your first baby coming in a month go enjoy some outside riding now and focus on having fun.

Once you have a baby getting away for an outdoor ride will be hard- even an hour by yourself on the trainer will be hard.

I have memories of putting my first born in one of those swings and lulling him to sleep, then setting him up besides myself in the trainer. If he started stirring I would reach down and rock him. Sometimes I could get in 30 min…

Having two kids who are now 7 and 10 I would advise simply trying to find time to exercise enough for mental health when you can and do your best but the reality is the baby is gonna take up a lot of time and energy.

3 Likes

I have to say, that I’ve suffered from exactly the same (struggle … motivation e.t.c) and putting a power meter on my outside bike has transformed my riding and enjoyment of the sport, most outside rides are now zone 2, and it takes away the “it was only x mph, I’m rubbish, why do I bother”, as I’m not trying to beat my time on a route … I’ve been doing different routes, which have been getting longer … so my endurance improving

I do try to stay consistent on the zone 2, so a little harder on the downhills, and softer on the uphills,

3 Likes

How severe was your Anemia and what were your symptoms before receiving the diagnosis? I’m not in a slump I don’t think, but I am slightly anemic and am waiting to hear back from the hematologist as to why that may be.

I had one massive blood loss that I know of that I think triggered the massive slump but other than blowing up in relatively easy rides I didn’t suffer many of the classic symptoms of bowel/colon cancer. Daily sore stomachs and dramatic weight fluctuations/loss (I was actually gaining weight but slowly). The only real symptoms I had was chronic fatigue.
I stupidly carried on with my LEJOG plans but on two of the nine days my mates forced me to get in support car. My stupid stubbornness made me finish though.
Not long after it I done a European sportive with a mate I hadn’t seen for a while and he convinced me fortunately to see a doc.
After getting a blood test one day I got a panicky phone call from the doc a few days later. The normal blood iron is 135 parts, they get worried at 35parts and below 15parts is catastrophic. I had 12 parts and she was commissioning urgent tests.

The tests came back negative and I started to relax on iron tablets I felt closer to normal and perhaps it was overtraining after all and my 90%vegan diet. A few months later though the classic extreme sore stomachs started. A few times they made me bed bound for the day. I started to get worried myself. Unbeknown to me the last test had been delayed in a NHS backlog (the GP was most perturbed). It found it and a week later, having done the E2/10 TT doped up on a blood transfusion (my iron levels pre op were 9 parts :hushed:), I was in hospital for major surgery, fortunately they were able to do it keyhole and I was out 3.5 days later.
I did a lot of walking to get my fitness levels back up. I had been warned to stay off the bike for at least 6weeks. I saw the oncologist at 5weeks though and he confirmed unfortunately that although they were pretty certain they had got everything, they were still going to blast me with chemo. Before they did so he also said I should get back on my bike to see what level I would get back to post ‘treatment’. He didn’t have to tell me twice; I never got back to that level though , I kept on building on it and getting better al through chemo. I’ve smashed it now but I set an all time 25miles TT PB at the time right at the end of my chemo. Roll on nearly 2 years post chemo and I have just done a 30miles TT on the same course in strong side winds (ditching the aero wheel) 1.6mph faster and my PB on a 25 is over 2mph faster.
Sorry for the long post but it helps me to remember how lucky I was.

8 Likes

When my Thyroid couldn’t produce enough i was prescribed Levaxin. It has helped a lot and I’m now within the normal distribution span.

Tim,
Thanks for reaching out. I can tell you first hand that you are not alone. As many others have suggest, the first thing you might do is go see your physician to eliminate any medical issues. Also, don’t under estimate the impact of the child on the way. A child is a big life change and the uncertainty associated with this event is bound to impact you whether you recognize it or not. That’s normal.
The riders on my club’s elite team all take time off the bike and do other things - hike, run, play soccer or relax - to stay fresh. Their coach makes them. Maybe you just need time off?
Finally, you tested at 205 not 250, so what? That’s the point of training. My hunch is that when you get back into training you’ll get back that previous fitness. Relax and let it happen.
Good luck and check back to let us all know how you’re doing. And congratulations dad!

1 Like

Kinda similar at the moment, broke my hip end of last year and after dealing with that had another few setbacks including my wife being in hospital for the last 3 months. I have done zero training/riding and working/visiting taking 15/16 hours of my day my fitness dropped drastically and I lost~23% of my previous FTP and 45% drop from my peak.
I restarted my training a couple of weeks ago when I thought my wife was being released from hospital ( this didn’t happen) to try and get some me time and fitness back and they have been demoralising mentally knowing where I have been. Started to accept where I am and today is the first day I felt better about things. I am not saying I’m cured, tomorrow I may slide back, but you have to take things day by day and accept where you are is not the same as where you have been. It may take time but you will get back your fitness and the sun will rise again.
Sounds like you have a lot to look forward to, don’t stress about ftp and numbers, if you have the time then as others have said get out and just enjoy the ride. Try and accept where you are and enjoy the rebuilding.
We are all here for you if needed. Be well

4 Likes

I think I’m coming out the other side. I’ve only ridden a few hours each week since August 1st until this week. Somehow I spent 12 hours ripping or noodling around. Also, I got talked into a race at the end of September. Just a couple crits in SoCal but, the important point is I’m looking forward to them. Will not start a new training cycle on the bike until Nov/Dec though…

Any updates @timnorman ?