Phil Gaimon Everesting edit: Now broken by Keegan Swensen 7:42

Personally, I don’t see anything to be ridiculed here. People are just setting a task for themselves, a task that is inspired by the height of Mt Everest, and then giving it go. All for fun and self-improvement and if possible inspire others. Not to mention that a certain pandemic is making things a little screwy, so people have to be a little more creative than usual when it comes to setting goals and reaching for them.

1 Like

Not ridiculing the ride, just the fervent adherence to arbitrary “rules” (as well as the less-than-performance-quality orange). Does it really matter if LM missed it by 400m? Not to me. It’s still damn fast. Then again…pro, not surprising it was fast. Probably even faster if it was done on gravel.

It only matters for the record performance. This is not limited to Everesting. Competitive swimming pools have to be certified with a professional survey measurement for any record to count and if there is a movable bulkhead, the pool has to be re surveyed before the bulkhead is moved after any national or world record performance.

This will be a short lived issue. Folks going for the record will get their segment looked at in advance.

Exactly my point. The “rules” are made up by a non-professional group and the records are recorded by seemingly uncertified and unprofessional measurements.

It’s basically the same as a sprint for the town sign.

Big picture — does it really matter? So what if he went under…by no fault of his own. What about all the riders who have gone over? Kudos to them. All Everestings are a worthy accomplishment, just too bad their “authenticity” is now more about junky tech etc than the actual individual feat.

Can’t wait for the Trenching frenzy!

3 Likes

Looks like Lachlan Morton just gave it another whack, exactly one week after his first attempt. This dude is nuts.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3645344044

8 Likes

Guy is nuts, hopefully he got it, guess we will know for sure when the official time is up.
I cant imagine holding an average of 4.5w/kg for almost 8 hours.

1 Like

How do you know you are a pro?

You go and do something epic. And then do it again.

1 Like

And 76mph on the downhills if you believe the GPS trace! :scream:

3 Likes

His unofficial time is about 2 minutes faster, too. One everesting attempt is crazy. Two world record attempts a week apart is insane. WT Pros truly are on a different level than the rest of us.

3 Likes

Yup, looks like he shaved 2min off of the record. Official fastest time is 7:29:57. Sheesh!

2 Likes

Legend. Such a stud.

2 Likes

Haha! I like his style. Lachlan is my new role model.

4 Likes

I think Lachlan is now trolling Phil Gaimon … Phil only just posted his video on why Lachlan’s first attempt didn’t count, and now Phil has to make another one explaining that actually Lachlan now does officially have the record after all…

3 Likes

Phil must be really broken up about having another easy video to do.

2 Likes

Hehe. Indeed!

4 Likes

Here’s the latest from the women’s side:

4 Likes

And its been broken again

1 Like

Damn. Guess Lachlan is gonna have to go for it a 3rd time!

13% and long. Just a Few repeats. Looks like hard way to do it. Her write up shows why she was a pro rider, no shortage of HTFU resilience,

3 Likes

Phil’s response

1 Like