Phil Gaimon Everesting edit: Now broken by Keegan Swensen 7:42

Lachlan Morton is EF Education First now has the record at 7:32:54, about 8 minutes faster than Swenson. Strava ride here.

5 Likes

notice how Keegan immediately gave him props :wink:

4 Likes

Yea he must’ve read this damn thread, lol.

3 Likes

Not sure if this is the right place to share this but, a friend and teammate completed his Everest Challenge on Wednesday.

As we’re short on mountains around these parts, he tried to do something a little bit different. 232 loops of a short, 500 meter, 8% gradient. Took him just over 15 hours. He was aiming for 10,000 meters but I was told he cut it short because his dinner was about to ‘end up in the dog’. :joy:

All of this effort was done to help raise funds for The local charity Cyclists Fighting Cancer. They provide bikes for children who are fighting the disease.

I wasn’t able to be part of the support crew but teammates tell me that he was fresh from start to finish.

9 Likes

That is insane.

I hadn’t even thought of the boredom aspect that much, but that one drives it home.

I think this thread needs renaming “This Week’s Everesting Record”.

1 Like

For some reason I’m not surprised the odd bod mentalist has done it. Feats of endurance for odd races and adventures seam right up his street.
If you need an example of a pro who does it for the love of bikes he’s perfect.

Almost immediately broken by Hannah Rhodes who not only set the new fastest female time but also the fastest overall time in the UK at 9:08 - Brit sets new women's Everesting record | Cycling Weekly

Insane that she also did it up the Kirkstone Pass on a segment with a 13% average gradient. I’ve ridden up that hill, had no desire to do it a second time that day let alone 27 times!

4 Likes

wow that time is just bonkers. Inter-european travel will resume soon… so I really, really hope Annemiek van Vleuten will give it whirl. :crossed_fingers:

Indeed - although the ride to Ullswater and Pooley Bridge from Ambleside up the ‘Struggle’ is also a fun one, coming down the Kirkstone after the climb up the Struggle but then knowing you’ve got to go back up it to get home ! :grimacing:

I did the “Struggle” during Helvellyn Triathlon a few years back, it’s the closest I’ve ever come to having to get off and walk during a triathlon. With the woefully inadequate gearing on my TT bike I think I might have been quicker walking to be honest!

Whoa :astonished: - riding up that hill on a TT bike deserves serious Kudos !!! :+1: :+1:

Real records :+1:

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/cycling-most-vertical-metres-in-24-hours/#:~:text=The%20record%20for%20the%20most,11%20to%2012%20May%202007.

1 Like

And its broken again, this time by Lachlan Morton (at an altitude of 2200m no less)
Lachlan Morton Record

1 Like

Snowshoe Bike Park in West Virginia had a race they called the Chomolungma Challenge that was held from 2012-2014. It was 20 laps down the bike park to equal 30,000 feet of total descent- 10 laps down the rough and technical Pro DH course and 10 laps down a new school flow trail. A friend of mine who has done many stupid things on bikes (multiple mtb 100s, Pisgah and Transylvania stage races) described it as the hardest thing he’s ever done.

Imagine the 10th lap down this:

1 Like

Now undone.

1 Like

If it’s on Strava, it happened.

…on a bike or in a car.

Either seems to be KOM worthy. :+1:

2 Likes

What’s crazy here is that you wouldn’t be all that might faster in your car if you drove safely.
-The bike can do the 84 u-turns on the 2-lane road a lot quicker than your 2-pt turn.
-he was hitting 70 mph on the descents; you’d be limited to the 40mph(?) speed limit
-You would need a tank of gas, because you’re probably only getting 6mpg climbing the hill and accelerating the whole time.

He’s doing a lap every 10min - 8.5 climbing, 1.5 descending . You’re saving 6climbing, losing 1 descending, losing 1 u-turning- so 6min turns. That gives you ~168min advantage in the car, but you’re 40min from a gas station, so that’s a 90min gas run. You still win by an hour, but that’s still a long day!

At least with real Everesting you know when you’ve reached the top.

3 Likes