Pavillon to Heng Shan is a big jump no in between workout alternatives

From Pavillon ( threshold 4.0 ) to Heng Shan (threshold 4.5) is quite a big jump with no alternatives in between. Between some levels of these types of threshold workouts there are small increments but between others there are only 0.5 jumps available (available workouts have levels 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 4.7, 5.0 and 5.2)

Here is Heng Shan for quick access since Pavillon is already provided:

To your observation, PL’s are great, but don’t always tell enough of the story. Despite the 0.5 delta between them, look at the reality between the workouts:

• Pavillon consists of 4 sets of short efforts lasting between 1-4 minutes at 95-117% FTP with very short, 30-second recoveries between intervals.
  • Recoveries between sets of intervals last 5 minutes each.

• Heng Shan consists of 4 sets of short efforts lasting between 1-4 minutes at 96-117% FTP with very short, 30-second recoveries between intervals.

• Recoveries between sets of intervals last 5 minutes each.

• The biggest difference in is the minor increase from 95% to 96% for the 1st 3-minute interval in the sets, while the 96% to 100% increase for the 2nd 4-minute interval is most notable. The delta should not be a killer IMO and the remainder of the sets are identical.

Broadly speaking, unless someone struggled with related workout the preceding week, a 0.5 jump has been manageable IME. I’d suggest going in properly prepped with headspace pointed towards successful completion and give it a rip.

It would be good for TR to bridge these gaps, and I think it is in the plans from comments on the podcast, but we have to use what’s available as of now. If in doubt, applying a small Workout Intensity adjustment could be a “hack” to decrease the loading. I tend to limit those to +/- 3% for my use and would not feel bad about applying this in the first set at least. That would allow you to see how it goes and adjust from there if you are on top of it.

2 Likes

For now I accepted a small 4W bump in FTP and will do Pavillon (which was hard but doable unlike Heng Shan where I struggled)