Patriotic jersey & drivers

I’m afraid no political party in any country has a monopoly on bad driving behavior. Anyone surrounded by a ton or two of metal and with a throttle under the foot can turn into an idiot or an absent-minded people mower.

8 Likes

I guess that’s why I had so many close calls when I had to ride through a very urban area to my friends house in said USA jersey, it’s kind of a target

Perhaps I was being too subtle, but that was essentially my point. I find that shocking.

1 Like

Embarrassing how much I want to apologize for that, even when I’m not even in the same country.

Still amazes me how much a background/skin colour is a factor on everyday life for people… Just sad, really…

3 Likes

Well, I’m not certain that title is valid any longer, but the etiquette of the flag is that no part of it should be worn as clothing, etc.

Funny how all those real ‘Muricans that insist on respecting the flag don’t observe that, huh?

(And personally, I don’t give a rat’s patootie what you do with the flag. It is a piece of cloth…it holds no mystical powers. Pretty sure our flag right now has parts of it touching the floor in our closet. Don’t really care and think it’ll be OK.)

3 Likes

Besides the fact that no one is wearing an actual flag. Most of the jerseys just have stars and stripes, and while you get what the are there to represent they may not even be configured in the same manner as an actual flag nor could be construed as such.

1 Like

Just another +1 for wearing patriotic stuff to avoid bad drivers. I’ve practiced this strategy for years. Even a pair of patriotic socks helps. Definitely avoid bright pink. It makes a massive difference.

Is it sad? Of course it is. Is it safer? YES.

1 Like

It’s always been this way in rural areas. Heck, the movie Easy Rider (1969) is built around this premise. Ironically, those bikes and image were kind of coopted by conservative leaning Americans, who are often the antithesis of what they are trying to mimic.

Anyway, the best offense is a good defense. The reasons why are out of most of our control, so best not stack the deck against ourselves.

1 Like

I mean it’s a thread about wearing the american flag as a way to be “one of them” when running into not so nice rednecks on the road. Where did you think this would end up?

3 Likes

Well in fairness, we could get really controversial and start a thread on whether wearing team kit is appropriate. Or rainbow stripes you didn’t earn :rofl:

3 Likes

There, I fixed the title. :wink:

The flag code is about respect and reverence, nothing more nothing less.

As for the code, no one is wearing an actual flag. You can wear a shirt with a flag printed on it, but you can’t make a shirt out of a real flag.

2 Likes

Sadly there seems to be a very strong intersection between right wing politics and anti-cyclist sentiment.

Right wing politics has devolved to a point where vindictiveness towards those outside their bubble is what unites them. Especially in an rural area around a city or metro area they will build up a huge amount of animosity towards the city dwellers that is reinforced across all their news and social media platforms. Cyclists are predominately of the city/left class but spend a lot of time mixing as we ride out looking for less trafficed/more scenic roads.

Also, pretty much any pro health behavior is outside that bubble, that could be engaging in activities like running or cycling, or choosing not to consume red meat. In just the last day go to twitter and look at the Epicurious response and the fake story about Biden restricting beef. They stoke this frustration and anger in these channels, then we are lucky enough to be on the receiving end.

9 Likes

This isn’t a one way street, but since this thread is about the US jersey and motorists, try wearing that jersey and riding through a very urban area and you’ll get the same treatment as you would without it in the countryside. Ignorance is not exclusive to any one party or ideology or sport or neighborhood, we just tend to jump to the conclusion of “they are wrong” instead of looking in the mirror and realizing our own faults.

4 Likes

I don’t share this assessment. I know many of conservatives that are into health and fitness. Unless you mean far right, but certainly not the norm middle of the road conservatives. But anyone far right or left are going to be skewed vs the norm.

4 Likes

No one in an urban area has ever tried to run me off the road, thrown anything at me, yelled at me, brake checked me, or coal rolled me (edit: for wearing patriotic gear)

1 Like

Is captain america not a patriot? My life is a lie

4 Likes

I don’t think the shield on the back is very aerodynamic, however.

The suit, like all superhero ones, appears to come equipped with awesome comms, however. Even works without delays when talking to people at the other end of the galaxy.

5 Likes

He has good protocol in passing though ‘on your left’

5 Likes

Also, any heckling I might get in an urban area just isn’t as dangerous as a Heavy Duty Pickup with a trailer passing you by 2ft at 50mph.

4 Likes