Pacing For Levi’s Gran Fondo

Hey everyone!

I listed to the podcast and read the blog post about Levi’s, but one thing was missing…pacing!?

Maybe I missed it? Using Best Bike Split, but I’m not sure what intensity factor to use?

This will be my third year doing it and I’m hoping to cash in my FTP gains and hit 7:30 (7:59 last year).

Thanks!

Justin

Hi! I will be doing the Levi’s GranFondo this Saturday too and I also used Best Bike Split to estimate my finishing time. I am fairly new to cycling metrics but I would suggest looking at past long rides of similar distance and seeing what you were able to achieve as far as IF is concerned. I read that using 0.75 for your IF is a good place to start.

For my last GranFondo (Whistler 2018), I used 0.80 in Best Bike Split but TrainerRoad reported an IF of 0.97 while Strava reported a 90% Intensity number. This was my A-race so I pushed myself hard (and came in 20 minutes faster then the estimated finishing time).

Also, good nutrition and hydration will help in keeping the intensity up on long rides!

I have the same question, though not specifically for Levi’s…

Does anyone have any insight into how you can more accurately estimate your IF for any given race? I understand looking at past rides of similar length/intensity, but are there are there more general recommendations for crits/road races/century/etc.? This is where I always get tripped up on Best Bike Split.

@chad? @Nate_Pearson? @Jonathan?

Road races are really hard because of the group nature. Sometimes they are mellow for like 90% then explode. Sometimes it’s hard from the gun.

For Levi’s, it’s just about finding the right group if you want a fast time. I wouldn’t worry about pacing besides on the climbs (obviously don’t completely blow up).

I’d put out extra energy later to stay with a fast group (they always seem to slow down later) rather than try to pace early and let a good draft go up the road.

2 Likes