Outlandish Ride Types

I think I found the perfect race for @Nate_Pearson. The Dirty Donut is a 61 mile gravel race with time removed for each donut eatten at a few “donut stops” along the way. They even have a 61 mile tandem bike donut eating division.

What is everyone else’s favorite out of the ordinary ride?

5 Likes

I would own that race without even riding.

2 Likes

Pete and Brandon FTW!

Not a ride but I ran in a beer run in Bend awhile back. 5k (ish) with two stops each mile or so to drink a beer.

Ended up getting 2nd and got heckled a fair amount for that. It was a strange race.

1 Like

There used to be a cyclocross race locally where there was a shortcut on the course. If you took the shortcut you had to down a shot of tequila. If you went via the longer loop you got booed by the crowd :grin:

3 Likes

5 minutes per doughnut!! Can you have a negative time?

5 Likes

GTN did an episode on the beer run, quite fun.

Many years ago, before I was a runner, I heard about the Marathon du Medoc…wine stop every mile, and at the finish line…as many oysters as you can eat.

:man_running:t2::wine_glass::man_running:t2::wine_glass::man_running:t2::wine_glass::nauseated_face::man_running:t2::oyster::face_vomiting:

We had the Tour de Donut in Staunton, IL, which was 20-30 miles if I remember correctly. They did results for adjusted and unadjusted time. The guy who ended up winning unadjusted overall was a food challenge guy who ate something like 40 donuts. He ended up with a ridiculously negative time. :joy:

1 Like

Was it this fabulous gentleman?

1 Like

Not an event, but my tri club does a “scavenger hunt” race every year. It’s a team thing and you have to run around the city following (very) cryptic clues to take photos with landmarks or buy a specific item at a specific coffee shop. It usually turns out to be a pretty close match, as the more competitive among us are not always the smartest. :wink:

1 Like

Aren’t all runs beer runs? I got into a bad crowd that does orienteering in the mountains, and it was considered criminal to not drink a beer or some liquor prior to starting AND having at least a couple beers in the pack as well AND a beer cache should be on course somewhere AND post-run beers available while discussing the event afterwards.