Opinions wanted switching to SRAM

I don’t know if the SRAM flat top chain will work with an Ultegra cassette, but I lean toward matching components. If you go this route, then you will need to purchase an XDR free hub for your trainer. $70USD for the Wahoo Kickr Core, but may vary based on your actual trainer, plus a matching cassette.

1 Like

^^^ purchase XDR freehub. Install flattop chain compatible cassette.

2 Likes

As somebody in the Shimano ecosystem, this is one of the biggest hurdles for me trying out SRAM. All my wheels are Shimano. My trainer is Shimano. I can get a decent deal on Rival AXS, but I’d have to buy XDR drivers for my wheels, and many new cassettes on top of the groupset. It definitely adds up.

1 Like

Agreed. I switched to SRAM when I sold my old bike and got a new one. It was a very conscious decision in that I knew that any future bikes (wife willing) would also be in the SRAM ecosystem.

2 Likes

The basic SRAM chains definitely work on Shimano cassettes; Ive intermixed them plenty of times; but I am unsure about the newer flat top SRAM chains.

Interestingly from a video that was posted on here the other day SRAM chains seem to be more robust than others and more robust again the more you spend but, and probably a big but, SRAM chains are the slowest and the more you spend the slower they get :exploding_head:

1 Like

Made the switch from Di2 Ultegra to Force about two months ago and couldn’t be happier! I’m 69yo, and while I’m faster than I’ve ever been, I do appreciate the 12 speed cassette with the 10/36 on some of the 15-20% grades around here – I could do them before but the boost in cadence with the new gear inches is great. Also love the batteries, which last a long time, and also, so easy to have a spare battery in the jersey pocket and change it in 20 seconds on the road if need be. Then what everyone said about the great intuitive shifting. Just great.

2 Likes

Yes, you will need an XDR freehub.

1 Like

Okay Thanks

Thanks good to know.

Thanks for the reply. :scream: Slowest chain… maybe that’s why Team Movistar has won in a while…well it probably wont matter that much in my case. But it is kinda strange that it is slower as their concept of smaller chain rings and less distance between jumps is a good concept .

1 Like

It has nothing to do with their gearing concept, it is a materials / design issue. Dylan Johnson has some details in his two most recent YT videos on chains and lubricants.

(and many people will tell you that smaller chainrings are also not as efficient as larger chainrings)

1 Like

That’s true, that’s the trade off. However, you get more range with the same number of gears.

1 Like

My hot take: Non-pros worried about the watts lost with sram chain/drivetrain are missing the forest for the trees.

(With the possible exception of avid time trialists)

5 Likes

Jumbo Visma switched to sram and they still seem to be winning plenty. Can’t all be that bad.

2 Likes

I don’t know if that has been discussed before in the thread but one thing that stood out to me after the switch from DA Di2 hydro to SRAM RED eTap AXS (hydro) is how porky the
SRAM levers are. I have big hands and the RED levers are quite comfortable on the tops but I still kind of prefer the feel and look of the DA levers.

RED levers are due for an update as various Pros have been running a version of the Rival shifters with carbon levers in CX last year and SRAM recently announced new SRAM Force AXS components with updated shifters. So if you can wait for a possibly updated RED lever (rumored to look close to Shimano GRX levers) then I’d probably wait or buy Rival and update later.

I’d definitetly try to get your hands on the levers first before commiting to the purchase. RED are quite expensive and I wish I’d gone with Rival looking back. That’s all of course just personal preference so YMMV.

Thanks for the reply, Well, I will check out out DJ’s videos. I guess SRAM has a lower price point than Shimano Ultegra. I guess I need some more research. I will also have to calculate what the loss of efficiency is and is it significant for me?

:scream: You don’t say… I’m like a Sepp Kuss fan boy :heart_eyes: :man_facepalming: So that’s all you had to say… :rofl:

Yep, keep it REAL… Thanks well said!! And a good reminder as we fall in the cycling abyss. Sometimes we need a wake up call!

It likely isn’t…it is on the magnitude of 2-3w. Not even noticeable for most of us and other concerns should take priority (ergonomics, shifting preferences, etc).

1 Like

thanks

1 Like