One cross training device to rule them all - skierg vs rower?

Reading this made me think that I could achieve many of the proposed benefits with a strength regimen and a bit of running. I say running because in addition to the other potential benefits of another cardio source you can also not worry about bone density.

I happened to find a complete rack + olympic weight set for $250 off FB marketplace the other day. So I’m trying out the GZCL program but swapping out some of the T3 lifts for KB swings and Turkish get-ups. On endurance days where I still have some gas left in the tank ill take the dogs out for some easy zone 2 running (which is a pitiful display since my HR spikes almost immediately, but doesn’t seem to tax the knees)

1 Like

Hi all,

I am mostly a cyclist and rower. Cycling is completely lower body, Rowing is in average rather lower body than upper.
Strength Training is not my favorite and I struggle to stay motivated working the iron on a regular basis. I do PushUps and PullUps rather regularly, but feel I need a more regular workout for my upper body. I do a lot of stretching, Yoga and stuff, helps my back a lot!
I also feel there is a chance to use my off-bike and off-rower rest days for some workouts, which are not focussing mainly on the legs (tired from Cycling and Rowing) and which are not pure strength session.

The goal would be to:

• strengthen posture , work against future back problems coming from sitting a lot at work
  • further develop cardiovascular capacity , which I think is already quite good for my age (just below 50) through Cycling and Rowing
  • toning upper body muscles, strengthening them and even maybe “slightly” pumping up upper body muscles : Breast, Aps, Arms
  • reducing body fat

Would the Ski Erg offer me this? Is it the right way to go? I am not training in general to become a faster cyclist. For me main motivation is to be healthy.

Thank you for your thoughts.

1 Like

Twenty years ago I had a NordicTrack and it wasn’t fun, and wasn’t helping with posture or upper body muscles. Maybe skiergs are better now? After a couple years I sold the NordicTrack.

Strength training is not my favorite. I’m sold on kettlebell training, because it’s time efficient and requires minimal space. You can buy a weight adjustable kettlebell like this one: 12-32KG Adjustable Competition Style Kettlebell - Bells Of Steel USA. If you go this direction be sure and get a competition style kettlebell (35mm handle).

Programming is simple. I started with this program and used it for a year:

That didn’t interfere with cycling. Huge improvement in posture, stopped losing upper body muscle mass. After a year I started the basic Plan 015 that is described in the Quick and the Dead book, and you can find a YouTube video about it (really simple: start a timer, at 0:00 do 10 swings, at 1:30 do 10 pushups, at 3:00 do to swings, at 4:30 do 10 pushups, etc.). Just 30 minutes of kettlebell swings & pushups - the key is these are power swings and power pushups. Already seeing big improvements in upper body strength and muscle mass (even in my upper legs). I’ve been fueling the work for muscle growth, and haven’t focused on weight loss yet. No interference with my cycling.

Minimalist programming of both cycling and power has delivered better results, for myself, than “more structured” programming. A lot better.

Ultimately you need to find something you enjoy enough to do 3 times a week.

2 Likes

Have you tried one? I have and they seem super boring even compared to an old NordicTrack.

I think proper usage though may be to do intervals of 30 seconds to maybe a few minutes and mix in rowing, kettlebells or something else. 20 minutes straight of ski erging seems like it would be way too mind numbing.

I’d also probably never get a Skierg because the piece of equipment is gigantic and bolted to the wall. I do have a Concept 2 though.

edit: ha, ha - I see that I posted the same idea 1.5 years ago. In the interim, I did get to try a Skierg a couple of times.

1 Like

I think an Air Assualt or Airdyne bike would be better than either a ski erg or rower for what you are looking for.

1 Like

no offense, but how, pray tell, does more sitting on an AssaultBike help with “back problems coming from sitting a lot at work” :joy: