OLD roadbike to triathlon bike

Hallo,

I am the owner of an old Panasonic PR 2000 of size 53cm. To be honest I bought it from a friend a few years ago just because I liked the style - not even sure if it is the right size :innocent: The last years I only used it on nice days during the summer and had a lot of fun on it. Two weeks ago I started the sweet spot base plan on it and before I did a “road bike bikefit” with some youtube videos.

My goal is to compete or at least train for an half ironman taking place at the end of the year. Therefore I was wondering if I can bring myself in a reasonable aero position on this bike,

I am 177cm tall with an inseam of about 85cm. I searched the web a lot but almost every tutorial tells you to buy aerobars/specific seat post and then lower your bars, correct your seat position. I own aerobars and bought a Profile Design Fast Forward seatpost but I do not know how to get a basic bikefit. In short for the road bike fit I adjusted the cleats, set the height of the saddle by placing my heal on the pedal and adjusted the saddle by knee alignement. I am looking for something similar and was wondering if you can recommend any tutorial. My knee is very weak so I am afraid to do it completely wrong.

You should go to a fitter. Do not rely on videos if you’re not sure what you’re doing.

1 Like

I know! And I only have a dumb answer but as a student I can not afford It at the moment

Hi Anita,

I would not sully such a vintage steel racer with aero bars!

It sounds like it’s your first half Ironman with completion in mind - an aero position is not required, in fact you will be unusual as most of the field will be riding roadies sitting upright. You may even cause problems, as a comfortable position is paramount.

I spent a lot of time studying and learning to modify my bike for my first HIM , and a lot of taking bikes apart and putting them together again…if that appeals, then go for it :slight_smile:

I did great in my half but my legs didn’t work in my full Ironman, you just can’t open up the hip angle enough on a road frame, and I built a tri bike the next year.

Honestly, a well fit roadie will do you fine :+1:

Thanks a lot for your reply but first I do not want to sully my vintage I want to give it a new glance :yum::sweat_smile:

I thought that the quite small frame will help me to ge a reasonable tri-position on it.

Still searching for a good tutorial which takes the geometry in consideration :slight_smile:

I didn’t think you’d take my advice :slight_smile:

I’d read Zinn and the Art of Triathlon Bikes and read everything on Slowtwitch.com