Ol #19 reached out and grabbed me

I thought this crap was done with. 2 vaccines and 3 boosters and it still doesn’t matter. UGGH!
For anyone who has had it and had to lay off training, how long was it until you were back training?

1 Like

Sorry you got the bug!

I got it back in early February, three days before a MTB race, I took about 5 days off training, then rolled in slowly, took a solid month before I felt normal again.

I’ve had the Omicron variety. My recommendations are to completely rest and take care of yourself until you feel completely normal, and the nasal test is negative. I don’t know your age, but males between 13 and 40 are at increased risk from the vaccine as far as cardiac complications. The vaccines cause your body to produce the viral spike protein, in hopes of causing an immune response. As you now know, the vaccines don’t prevent you from getting the disease, but seem to show their effectiveness by keeping people out of the hospital. Given that the spike protein, either vaccine or virus can affect the heart, When you feel completely well, very s l o w l y return to full activity and training. Yes, it sucks.

Thanks for your advice. I am 65. I really have to be careful. I will say today I got up and moved about Nothing much but a couple of walks for the dogs to potty but it seems to make a difference. Oh one more thing, Carvana brought me a little something.

1 Like

The most sensible thing to do is rest until you’re healed and don’t stress about not riding and take it easy for the first few rides back.

I was real bad for 48hrs, infact I slept for 36 of those 48 hours. Surprisingly enough after the rough 48hrs I felt completely fine. I went for a ride after 5 days but during the warm up I was hitting 160bpm so pulled the plug. Waited another few days and was completely fine but kept it to short Z2 rides for a while

I took 17 days off. it was rough though. I swear i was hallucinating at one point. 5-6 days to feel human 10 days to feel normal. then I started training. 52.

I think the general rule is certainly don’t go back until you feel normal. then take a couple days at least. You don’t want a relapse either.

** oh and start back easy. I swear for the first two weeks (I just did z2) the first 50 minutes I felt very poor, kept my hr down, then past 50 minutes I started feeling okay and I could complete 1.5-2 hour rides.

Yeah same here, about a month until I felt back to where I was.

Same here…felt horrible for 48 hours and slept most of the time…then felt ok, like I was at the tail end of a headcold. But when I tried to ride after 5 days my HR was elevated…I had a mtb race 19 days after testing positive and felt pretty bad, my avg HR was about 5bpm higher than usual.

Just a note, I’m 69, for me symptoms were bad for 5 days. I’m fortunate that it occured in late September, so time off didn’t affect training schedule much.

Thanks. Tested positive on Friday. Saturday was difficult. Today I seem to be going in the right direction. Will probably take tomorrow off from work as well and see how I feel at the end of the day before I make a decision on work.
I would think that after work how I feel would be a good indicator for me.
I have dropped 5 .6 lbs since my weight checked on Thursday.

So I agree it sucks you got it but this is not true. You might still get the virus but you’re still way better off having had the vaccine.

“While vaccinations don’t entirely prevent infection, this study demonstrates that vaccination significantly reduces morbidity and mortality by significantly reducing elevated levels of cytokines and chemokines that are correlated with a higher risk of severe infection.” New Research Shines Light on How COVID-19 Vaccination Reduces Severity and Mortality After Breakthrough Infections

Plus a big reduction in long COVID symptoms - Vaccinated people were 58% less likely than unvaccinated people to have symptoms lasting at least 30 days, and they were 43% less likely to have symptoms for 90 days or more." Vaccinated People Have Up to 58% Lower Risk of Long COVID

3 Likes

I’ll add two additional points re: the vaccines:

• the virus is constantly changing (and thankfully weakening). It will always be a game of “catch-up”, similar to how flu vaccines have to change every year. (The COVID virus is a member of the cold / flu virus family)

• you don’t know if the vaccines prevented earlier infections following exposure. It may well have.

The changing narrative on the vaccines is disheartening. We would not be where we are today without them.

As for getting back to training, take your time. I had it last August (tested positive as the cab to take me to the airport for SBT GRVL was in my driveway :woozy_face:). I was lucky as it was a mild case, but I still took almost a full 2 weeks before I got back on the bike and even then it was all pretty easy stuff. Now, I didn’t have any additional events for the year, so that took some of the imperative away, but I still didn’t want to risk my long-term health by stressing the body too soon following infection.

3 Likes