NEWS: The Sufferfest Has Just Become "WAHOO SYSTM"

I doubt it’s exclusive and more about who is willing to pay $$$ for GCN advertising.

I quit following GCN about 2 years ago because they just pushed too far into the pay-to-play side of things. I simply don’t trust them regardless of the flag (or lack thereof) on their content.

22 Likes

No exclusivity on GCN’s part - they have a load of workouts on Zwift too.

I think Nate has spoken about GCN before, i.e. it hasn’t been worth it for TR to try and promote themselves through GCN.

4 Likes

got to give it to them for being slick like that regardless if you are a sufferfest fan or not.

1 Like

Agree that they definitely went through a phase of that. More recently they’ve put out some really good non-sponsored (or less overtly sponsored) content, e.g. aimed at new bike riders or on bike packing. The paid-for films on GCN+ are also really good - they’re my go-to entertainment now that it’s indoor training season again.

5 Likes

Very much my perspective too. That said, a lot of cycling media these days is advertisement driven. Its really really hard to get honest opinions about a lot of stuff…

3 Likes

Especially now that Peloton, Velonews, CyclingTips, PinkBike, and others are all owned by Outside

1 Like

Yup. Its way more centralized than people realize.

Even smaller youtube channels are heavily sponsored as well. There really is no escape…

Also, notice that road.cc and other bike blogs are all out of the same area in the UK where GCN is based too… (tinfoil hat on)

2 Likes

Interesting that the podcast is “The Knowledge” and not “Th Knwldg.”

15 Likes

Dont give them any ideas…
they might rename it to “Wahoo Knwldg”

2 Likes

I’ve always been amazed they refer to their customers as Wahooligans rather than Whlgns

7 Likes

this is consistent with Austrian German.

Still no Power Match with System because " most modern trainers are so accurate you don’t need it"

2 Likes

At least now we know where Wahoo falls in the “and sometimes Y debate” lol

7 Likes

Interesting to read. Presumably this is why Wahoo has dragged the chain on helping TR with the Outdoor ride fixes.

The platform is a meh for me currently compared to TR based on DC’s write up. Except for the ProRide that looks awesome!!

I wonder if they’ll maintain the pricing? It seems reasonably cost effective, though you don’t get as much for your money I guess. I always liked that the Wahoo app was a free one, many weren’t :man_shrugging:.

Yeah, the GCN+ content is great. Plus the racing coverage is better than anywhere else by some margin.

I can understand the frustration with the adds, I don’t bother with a lot of the content that’s just a hidden in broad daylight and for Orbea or whatever. They’ve had some entertaining stuff in there though with the tandem, four vs one, etc.

4 Likes

Personally, for me the new app is worth it for the strength and yoga training alone. The cycling stuff is almost a bonus.

3 Likes

I don’t follow Wahoo too closely, but it seems then just don’t like E. Rest of the vowels are cool.

I wonder how this sets with my one friend, who just refers to herself as “E”.

2 Likes

The strength and yoga and 4DP focus are really the draw - the plans are merely adequate. But there is good content, fun rides, and even some skills/drills.

Trainerroad has leaped ahead of everyone with the adaptive training and progression tracking, in my opinion. Not to mention outdoor rides (Wahoo will add that by the spring, it seems). Wahoo must be concerned - SYSTM is a nice new framework for their fun and flashy content, but they lack the AI brains and progress/feedback that adaptive training seems to provide. Trainerroad seems to stand alone in what they can now provide for high level athletes.

6 Likes

Are their strength and yoga workouts well put together? Are they structured or do you just pick one each time you workout?

1 Like

Don’t you mean

3 Likes