New Zwift Hub One Trainer (Oct. 2023)

There is not much magic in the Cog. As I mentioned above and in a thread from long ago, people can just make a single-speed conversion on their smart trainer in the same way that is done on a regular bike wheel.

Just some spacers and cog of choice, setup for desired chain line and some form of tensioner (rear derailleur or spring tensioner mounted in the hanger) and a person is set for at least ERG use with a range of bikes and drivetrains. There are many kits and DIY hacks out there that people can do right now.

I even considered suggesting that people could reinstall their current cassette with a different order on their loose cogs & spacers. Decide what cog size they want, and where it sits best for chain line, then stack at least 2 spacers next to that cog for clearance, and resume with the leftover cogs. It would be totally incompatible with shifting if someone tried, but it would leverage existing parts. Would be “free” since they are just arranging the existing components. This depends a bit on how many cogs are combined on a spider at the large end. But I think most should have enough spacers and loose cogs to juggle and make a double-wide opening next to a desired cog. (pic & info in my next comment below)

The main “new” thing on the Cog is the shroud that should make installing a bike and aligning the chain to the cog a bit easier. But it’s likely a bonus feature that is not necessary. Add to that the fact that it would take minimal work to design and 3D print similar shrouds for anyone that really wants them.

2 Likes