New Trainer - Direct Drive or Rollers?

Looking to upgrade my dumb smart training to a full smart trainer or possibly smart rollers. What does everyone recommend for a smart trainer? Also any downsides to rollers? They could be fun it seems but bike setup (tires) may need to be changed vs a direct drive. For those with smart rollers how are FTP tests and big efforts going?

1 Like

I’ve both but use my DR turbo more mainly because it takes less concentration and there’s a bigger range of resistance than he smart rollers. The turbo is better for interval based workouts IMO.

There’s always rubber marks on the rollers too, the wheel off DR is more friendly too. I don’t change my bike set up at all for both the rollers and turbo.

For me the turbo more compact footprint makes it easier to set up in the limited space I have too.

1 Like

My only trainer is the Elite Nero. So I do everything on smart rollers. I love them but I have nothing to compare to. And I chose them specifically because I was really interested in skill improvements and additional core fitness.

2 Likes

This has been debated many times on this forum…
I’m a big fan of rollers and get a sense of added satisfaction whenever I use them. If you’re training to improve your cycling why wouldn’t you train all aspects ( balance, pedalling, gear changes etc)
With respect to FTP tests, yeah they are a challenge, but isn’t that the point anyway?
And they work for big efforts, I have sprinted once or twice over 1000w and Friday’s Lamarck was 356w NP for an hour, more than adequate I reckon😆
I have the older Elite E-Motion Ant+, not smart but controllable via PC
If I want grade changes I change gear…as you would…

2 Likes

I changed from the super smart Wahoo Kickr (1200€) to dumb Elite Quick Motion rollers (300€).

I am much more motivated on the rollers, love the challenge to work on my balance and stay focused.

I dont have any problems with pushing higher watts thanks to the 3 resistances. Even low cadence out of the saddle hill climbs are possible.

2 Likes