New SRAM Eagle Transmission - 2023

Sure seem to be as of now, considering it’s all centered on the XX (including XX SL) & XO that were always MTB groups and never road or otherwise.

Maybe there will be some way to mix and match this with some of the modern 12s AXS road stuff considering they both run a flattop chain now, but I have not seen that mentioned in any of my initial review. As such, lack of a front derailleur is totally expected within this range.

1 Like

Wishing it was 2x

1 Like

I did some digging and found this tool from SRAM, a UDH bike finder of sorts:

Looks like there are more compatible than I would have guessed.

3 Likes

It can be shifted with road AXS shifters, but the chains are different and chainrings “not cross compatible” according to sram. But I’m sure the mullet gravel drivetrain (big road 1x chainring, with XX/X1 chain, derailleur and cassette) will work and we’ll see it on some gravel race bikes this summer. Durability and shifting under full power are the big selling points of this new system, which is less important for gravel, so I don’t think it will be super popular in that world.

1 Like

I have a lot of reasons why, none of which contribute to this thread. As I said, even as a not-a-SRAM fan, this looks interesting enough to try it. I’m not brand loyal, I’d prefer to support SRAM, actually, but my experience is different from yours. Also, I’m almost 100% MTB at this point, so road groups, I don’t know about - this thread seems to be about the new MTB not-a-drivetrain.

Correction, it appears older eagle chainrings would work fine with the new chain (according to Dave Rome at Escape). So I guess the issue is chainline. You’d need to find a way to move chainline 3mm outboard ideally, which according to sram means you need the new cranks. I’m sure there will be a solution (or maybe it will still work well with an inboard chainline).

Two of the first three UDH bikes I searched aren’t on there. Way to go SRAM

1 Like

:rofl:

Interesting review by peak torque on youtube

4 Likes

The jockey wheel thing seems interesting. A nifty idea, but how often does a stick get jammed in the jockey wheel and not in the derailleur or spokes?

Nothing wrong with a bit of redundant safety factor, and it may help with things like long grass slowing a jockey wheel.

1 Like

SRAM is definitely innovative, daring, and doesn’t shy away from changing loads.
… however the prices are crazy, and it not being compatible with most current frames, and the integrated power meters (if I understand correctly?) are just a no go for me.

5 Likes

AFAIK UDH has become the defacto standard for mtb hangers, and has been for the contemporary ~cycle~ of bike releases.

I think a concession has been made regarding the power meter, in that the chainring is replaceable, just in a new way. Sram person on escape podcast has mentioned this, since of course chainring wear is a more significant issue in dirty mtb conditions.

prices are of course high, and the broader topic has been discussed in the bike industry. but these arent entry level components so I do not find it too egregious.

I still like peak torque youtube but I think he has become a bit too hambini-ish at times, and while I havent watched the whole video yet, it is tough to argue against the preliminary usage experiences reported by dave rome (and to some extent mike kazimer).

I am running X01 AXS + Shimano 10-45 12 speed on my chisel, and GX AXS + X01 10-52 12 speed on my stumpjumper. Don’t feel the need to upgrade/change to this new groupset but it does seem well done in many regards.

6 Likes

Also I think that the whole push by SRAM to establish the term “Transmission” for their new drivetrain is pretty stupid, but also makes sense from a marketeering perspective, so such is life…

He has the same concern as I do about the engineered failure point. Maybe because we’re both engineers with ME background. Weird.

The alignment is a good point too, maybe it won’t be an issue?

SRAM has released essentially three top-of-the-line drivetrains, one for XC (= lower weight), one for trails (= sturdier) and one for enduro and downhill. They roughly correspond to XTR and Saint, although Shimano covers this with only two groupsets.

The focus on “shifting well under any load” also seems to be a nod towards great shifting on ebikes, which are immensely popular (at least using my eyeball metric in the Bavarian alps). Shimano seems to have picked up on this when they designed their Cues groupset range, albeit they started from a different end of the market.

Peak Torque and Hambini didn’t seem too impressed, but I am open to seeing how it works in practice.

3 Likes

This would be killer kit on a Tandem!

From someone who has purchased GX Eagle AXS upgrade kit and totally love it, this group set seems VERY expensive. Wow.

This is pretty cool. Love to see companies innovate like this

2 Likes

Sounds like UDH frame compatibility aside, there’s no guarantee that this new groupset will clear the bike frame. Cassette is further outboard.

I cant help but feel like the jockey wheel thing is a dig at Absolute Blacks abysmal OSPW!

Im certainly questioning the idea of ditching the hanger. Its nice knowing theres an engineered weak spot. On the other side, its one more point to flex which could be the reason for bad shifts? No current need to upgrade my gx axs so ill sit on the sidelines for a bit on this one