New Specialized Prevail and Evade helmets launched

I realize sunglass ports on helmets are a thing, but how often do you take them off? Based on my travels across the US, wearing sunglasses most of the year, and in the summer leaving them on when running into the store appears to be a Cali thing. Recent trip to Fort Worth and I couldn’t believe the number of people walking across the parking lot without sunglasses. The only time I think of taking off my sunglasses on a ride is the same time I’m pulling the helmet off.

Riding at dawn or dusk, I’ll port mine on occasion.

2 Likes

I take them off pretty frequently. Just a few examples. Fog. Rain. Early morning before the sun has fully risen.

2 Likes

I actually wear them in all those situations :thinking:

1 Like

As do I, but I can’t see without my prescription lenses.

there was this one time, the wife and I were riding the tandem and my glasses fogged over so bad and kept fogging over that I was better off without my glasses. Kinda freaked the stoker out when I handed her my glasses and said 'Hold these, I can see better without them’:rofl:

4 Likes

This is me. I wear contacts, so I’m lucky in that sense, but with fog especially, you can’t see a thing with them on, and if you wipe them off, they’re covered again almost immediately. We ride early around Houston to beat the heat and humidity, so early morning fog is very common, especially on country gravel roads.

1 Like

I’ve tried contacts so many times, I wish I could get along with them. Luckily where I live/ride usually the glasses stay clear as long as I don’t find myself on a climb in the early morning when the RH% is at/near 100%

1 Like

I’ve only had the fogging over on my ski goggles! My sunglasses are prescription but need to update the lenses to new Rx.

What about pictures? Do you at least take them off for pictures?

You guys need to learn to smear a dab of baby shampoo on the inside of your lenses…they will never fog if you do.

Look at my forum avatar! Only take them off for pictures when my wife insists!

1 Like

I bought a new helmet due to a lack of ports. Fog, sweat, rain, changing light conditions. I don’t like hanging them off the back of my jersey or head.

1 Like

Not fog like a swimming mask, fog like water suspended in the air that creates “microscopic rain drops” on the outside of your lens

Rain X. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ve used rain-x, cat crap, soap, etc and still fog. I think it’s the proximity of the lens to the face. Sunglasses its a lot closer than ski goggles so less airflow.

Oakley Radar locks with the trail lens. Have had the same pair forever. I get a new lens every few years.

Also - big fan of the older prevail and evade helmets. Have both and great fit for my noggin. Will take a look at the new prevail and see if fit is the same.

I bought the new Evade and love the looks, but I need some help from other owners. The retention system angle seems to be off and the bottom part digs into the back in of my head instead of sitting flat and providing a snug fit. I used the adjusters inside/top to bring the retention piece down on the back of my head but the angle issue persists. Any suggestions or did I buy a lemon?
(Coming from Bontrager and a long line of Giro helmets)

Has anyone spotted the new Prevail getting sold in size XL in continental Europe? The usual shops I get my stuff from only list the M sized model in the black colorway.

FWIW, I pulled the trigger on a Prevail 2 on the discount and have been very happy in the heat. It’s a marked difference from my Evade. Not quite as comfortable as my Evades but I forget it is there after a little bit. Wore it on my 200 mile epic in the heat and it kept me going with great airflow. Very happy with it as a hot weather training helmet.

I would say it’s definitely slower. My ride speeds are way down between the prevail, the bar bag, and the 30mm wheels. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

My black Ballista is my only helmet. I wear it for everything, races, commutes, TT up Mt Washington in 90 degrees. I suppose if I ever tried ventilation it would spoil that for me so I just don’t. :rofl:

3 Likes