New Saris H4 Trainer (Hammer 4)

OK, I may well have just misunderstood Ray in the video mention. Thanks for the info :smiley:

ETA: I just re-watched the clip and Ray seemed to say “I think it has multiple BLE…” (my terrible paraphrase), so it looks like he may have expected that, but it’s not the case now that he got the full details? Not sure, but if it lacks that in reality, it’s another missed opportunity from Saris.

2 Likes

Yeah, the wording on the tech specs I received seemed to imply it (dual-BLE), but I think it was just one of those sentences where a comma would have made things clearer. The reason for me waiting to publish today was going back and re-confirming that piece there. Sadly, confirmed as not dual BLE.

5 Likes

I’m guessing that if they kept the design the same, I’m certain the 12 speed compatibility can be purchased as an aftermarket item for the H3 (cassette body plus adapters). I’m certain some people are using 12 speed bikes on the H3 now anyways.

Thanks. Looks like a typical spam/garbage copy content site. :frowning:

Sadly, I’ve found trying to get removals is a waste of time/energy, and just a never-ending goose chase. That said, I’ve written down the URL, so if you want to zap it above, it’ll reduce their SEO ranking.

As far as other sources, they had sent over the press release and spec sheets/changes with the embargo date of today (no time listed) while they were sorting out delivery logistics. Maybe they’re planning on doing a formal PR newswire tomorrow when it lists on Saris.com

3 Likes
  1. Now supports 12-speed road bikes, whereas the previous H3 didn’t
  2. Increased claimed accuracy to +/- 1.0 (was +/- 2.0%)
  3. Increased simulated gradient from 20% to 25%
  4. Increased wattage resistance from 2,000w to 2,300w
  5. Added new autocalibration feature, likely similar to what we’ve seen recently on Elite/Wahoo/Tacx trainers.
  6. Saris says they’ve also improved cadence accuracy
  7. Changed color scheme back to a yellow accented one (from grey/black accents)
  1. Meh…I use 9 speed on my trainer. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  2. Pretty sure I’ll never notice the difference.
  3. Where do you need to simulate a 25% grade? Honest Q.
  4. LOL…as if I would ever sniff the old limits.
  5. A nice-to-have feature, but not something I “need”
  6. Never noticed any inaccuracies in the first place
  7. :man_shrugging:

Yup…I’m feeling pretty damn good about my recent H3 on blowout right now. :sunglasses:

9 Likes
  • I deleted my post with the info to prevent future follows.
1 Like

Damn, torn here. Almost pulled the trigger on an H3 today but one of the things keeping me from doing so was my main outside bike is 12 speed. I have my old 9 speed on my trainer now and probably never would put my 12 speed on it but it would be nice to have the option, just not sure if $600 (realistically would go with the kickr over this so $500) is worth it. Especially when I could keep my Snap and put my 12 speed on that if I was desperate.

Saris sent me the adapter but the thru axle that is on my bike won’t spin due to housing/handle interference (they warned me about that). I’ll need another thru axle to get the 12 speed on it.

What’s the story on Saris as a company? I thought they were blowing out trainers a while back because they had overbought on inventory and were on the verge of bankruptcy?

We are still waiting to see the outcome. In the H4 article, Ray mentions that there are some dates pending that seem pointed in direction of a sale, but there are no details. Seem we have a bit more to wait to see the outcome here. Presumably someone will buy them and continue in some form or another, but that is a wild guess on my part.

Just saw this. Any news on Campy compatibility. Couldn’t get the H3 for this reason :frowning:

I am getting far behind now. Still using a CycleOps hammer (H1) and it is still going strong :slight_smile:

Have been thinking of upgrading for while now, but the only thing that changed from v1 to v3 is that v3 is now 1% more accurate. Maybe should wait for v4 rather.

What are your real life opinions? Is it worth upgrading?

For the price of the H3 currently, I think it is a no brainer, primarily on the noise front.

Saris had better hope they have blown through all their inventory by the time the H4 is ready, because otherwise they are screwed.

I honestly don’t know why they are faffing about with all this code nonesense. I learned early in my career that when you have inventory you need to get rid of, set the price where it will move and get rid of it. They are clearly OK with selling the H3 at <$400, so just set the price there, get the word out and be done with it.

Other companies will likely be having fire sales shortly as well, and Saris had a TON of inventory to move. They need to beat everyone to the punch and sell their stuff now.

2 Likes
  • The bigger change between these was a swap from a cogged belt to a ribbed drive belt (and associated pulleys) to make the trainer more quiet.

• The H3 and H4 are less noisy that the Hammer and H2, but still not as quiet as the Kickr, Core and other trainers.

1 Like

I went from an original Hammer to an H3 a month or two ago and have been super happy with it. If you’re comparing the two, the H3 may not be totally silent but it’s still about as noisy as the drivetrain and way less noisy than the fans. The original Hammer was so loud in sim mode freeriding in Zwift that it was very difficult to hear anything at all.

With the H3, I’m starting to use sim mode for intervals a lot more and I’m able to do it without it sounding like I’m riding a jet that’s taking off. The difference was basically moving from “intolerable noise” in the big ring to “barely noticeable.”

3 Likes

OP updated with the official Saris product page and debut video, along with SmartBikeTrainers article.

What is the difference that makes the h3 work with 12 speed? Is it just different end caps, or something else?

1 Like

I needed an adapter for 12 speed SRAM cassette , plus changed out the adapters for thru axle . The H3 came with a set of adapters that for that purpose.

Hmmmmm that price point kind of sucks with what you get from the H3, least lets not forget that there will be a flood of H3’s on the secondary market with people buying at the “fire sale” price trying to flip them for profit.

With the Zwift trainer announcement yesterday, what makes you drop $500 more to buy this? There is nothing wow here.

Maybe I moved the target but I really expected a $1K price tag would include something new such as these …

• multiple BLE
  • mood lights /power level indicator lights
  • include a cassette
  • has some mild shock adsorption feet/legs thingy included

Even without the debut of the Zwift Hub yesterday, this would have been an underwhelming product release. There just isn’t much here to brag about in this day and age. The Elite Justo was the first real trainer in recent memory to offer some new & improved features that are worthwhile.

I am still expecting a Wahoo Kickr V6 debut and it would sure seem likely that a new Neo might be around the corner. Couple those with potential for pricing adjustments in light of the Hub announcement, not to mention the questionable stability of Saris as a brand… and it’s hard to see the Saris H4 getting any real traction.