🎉🎉🎉 New Product Release! Updated Training Plans, Workout Levels, TrainNow Updates 🎉🎉🎉

there’s another win update out (dealing with grey screen)

1 Like

Thanks Jonathan, answer appreciated. I have two follow ups: You said,

[quote=“Jonathan, post:165, topic:58463”] For the second issue, I think it comes down to picking less of your races as A Races. In a season of racing, you should pick one or two events to serve as your true peak within that series, then let the rest be B Races.
[/quote]

My catch is just that the best A race would be a 12hr TT, bang in middle of the racing year, which presents two problems:

1. Eight weeks either side wipes out all other A races in that 4 month period.
  2. Earlier in the season I am doing 25s and 50 milers to build speed, before endurance (then 100s). So I am concerned that the having the 12 as a A race, would mean the plan builder would concentrate on endurance (for a 12hr event) rather than a plan that allowed me to take “speed into distance” as they say.

That leads me to a further question: How does Plan builder think about and design the training for a 12hr TT? Or does it simply think of it as a 100miler event perhaps? I don’t have a feel for how Plan Builder would adapt if the A race was alternatively a 100mTT or a 12hr TT. (I guess it would treat the 100mTT as an ironman leg - is that correct).

Previously you said [quote=“Jonathan, post:100, topic:58463”]
There is deeper nuance in this plans that makes all the difference in this case.
[/quote] when talking about the difference between Sustained Power Build and Short Power build. i suspect that applies also between general build and sustained power build. You went on to say,

I assume there is something embedded in the algorithm that says, “This is a Time Trial” and therefore we target the specific energy systems that should work for a) that type of event and b) length of event. Is that correct? (It would be nice to know the deeper thinking in this).

Thanks for all the great work. I realise I am a bit of a specific odd case. Take care

Anyone else has this situation in the plan?

A wild Ramp Test appears!

14 Likes

I am not convinced by this logic. Nor do I see any “Science” behind it. Just anecdote and personal physiology.

When I did my first ironman, I did my first half ironman 4 weeks before, (in my first year of Triathlon) because that was to see if I could do a half distance. The recovery/taper was carefully planned, (and interesting), but I still was immensley pleased with my first IM. ( I suppose you could argue the half IM was a B, but that was not how I saw it ot raced it).

Two years ago I did the national 12hr TT and came top 50 nationally. Four weeks later I cracked my PB for 100mTT by over 8 minutes.

I am 62. When younger I would not have considered running two marathons 8 weeks apart. Nowadays, I am happy for TTs to be that close and A races. Once i have the mentality I can do big races close together, I can.

I think the A race 8 week limitation should be adjustable for personal physiology, (and mental preparedness) rather than a fixed limit in the Plan Builder.

You mean in a quasi steady state without fatiguing kind of way?

Sorry, couldn’t resist :wink:

They can’t design Plan Builder for every eventuality and every preference. You will have to manually adjust the plans, hire a coach or maybe AT can address this.

1 Like

Wowser,

I’m only ever seeing the other way TN recommends me an endurance ride and I have a harder (for example VO2 max) workout in my calendar.

Hi I was struggling with the concepts of progression levels vs work levels and what they means. There is little current guidance of what each means, so you now have to read the now very long forum posts to glean the information from the TR team. I appreciate that there are parts of this which will make it more intuitive e.g. how achievable it is for you coming with AT.

But I think there is a part missing / the wording used in the search on the platform vs wording used in app. e.g. “Workout levels” vs “Progression levels” if you search currently for progression levels and what this means there isn’t much there.

https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/search?&query=progession+levels

Please can you add something that summarises the content in this thread to the sticky at the top e.g. what the levels mean and ranges. Where and what failure means e.g. if you can’t do an X or Y. e.g Nate saying above if your doing a 10 you should up your FTP etc.

But otherwise I like the update and keep up the good work!

Well it’s rest week for me so that might explain why it wants me to go hard (Galena completed last Saturday).

2 Likes

LoL. I have a coach. his name is Chad and he talks to me when I am doing workouts :rofl:

10 Likes

TR Support responded with a link to an updated new version. Same result. Still only get a dark grey screen.

1 Like

Just noticed Mount Alice has no level assigned to it

Edit: also Cardigan

1 Like

Mount Blackburn and Mount Drum are the same.

1 Like

Progression Levels are only available in the beta. Those are the individualized levels that will show on your career page. Workout levels are all that’s available widely right now, so you won’t know your progression levels unless you reverse engineer it by looking at the levels of workouts you’ve recently completed in each zone and manually marking the levels down for yourself.

:innocent::shushing_face:

Recent Highest Next workout
Endurance 7 4.8
Sweet Spot 7.8 5.5
Tempo
Threshold
Vo2 5.3 3.9
Anaerobic
Sprint 3.4
1 Like

That might be true but is you go to workouts it is now sorted by “Progression level” the workout scoring are “progression level” what I am getting at is there is a lack of clarity over the nomenclature. That might be the workout level but at the moment in the live platform that I have access to that is what is being shown, sorted by and recommended.

I remain conflicted on the changes to SSB HV. On one hand I totally get trying to manage work progression and breaking it up with easier endurance, but I’ve personally been so used to (and enjoyed) the 5 days sweet spot /1 day endurance and the 10-12hrs/week. Now SSB2 appears capped at 9hrs. And I know folks hate to focus too much on CTL and TSB, but for me I know I feel really good when my CTL goes to about 90, and with the current plans, I’m not sure if it would go much past 80. I’ve generally been a mainly “stick to the script” type as far as plans, but I’m definitely planning on subbing the Wed/Fri 30tss endurance rides with something more substantial.

7 Likes

Those are the workout levels. Sounds like they just need to change the language there to reduce confusion. When all the pieces are together (as they are in the beta) these questions just don’t exist because it all makes sense. Piecemeal release ends up raising more questions because you don’t have the whole picture yet if that makes sense. In any case the progression level filter is just filtering by workout level.

TN does not serve as a “training plan”. It does not give or recognize recovery weeks, or any other periodization.

It simply looks at recent history and suggests a workout in range of your current Progression Levels, and most recent workout or rest days.

As such, it won’t put you on a recovery week workout range. You need to use the training plans for that.

1 Like

No indeed I’m well aware of that. The point I was making is that it’s making a suggestion based on my recent progression whereas the new second half of sustained build LV is not in that range. Almost aligned with the old plan rather than the new ‘less might be more’ plan if you see what I mean.

1 Like