🎉🎉🎉 New Product Release! Updated Training Plans, Workout Levels, TrainNow Updates 🎉🎉🎉

Until we actually do a BBS cycle I don’t think it’s fair to say the new plans aren’t any better than the old plans. Well I might think some specificity is gone from the 40k plan there is always the potential that performance doesn’t go down because motivation is higher as there is less mental fatigue and I’m able to smash the workouts.

Keep in mind AT will eventually come to all of us and the stock plans will merely be a framework.

1 Like

^^^this and the old saying “trust the process”
you can’t compare something to something else if you’ve never done it.

2 Likes

Not sure I ever noticed the answer but does the current AT system deal with age.

2 Likes

Not currently as I recall from the launch podcast but it’s on the TR radar…especially for masters athletes.

2 Likes

Updated the TR App on my Windows 10 Laptop. When I tried re-opening the update app, all I get is a dark grey screen. Submitted a ticket.

Brilliant

1 Like

I’m sure this is operator error on my part… I updated the app, hit the forum to see how everyone was getting the update and saw we needed to delete the current plan and redo plan but could back date the plan. I did all the steps and it begins with a Ramp and easy day hard day and not the 3 hard SS days during the week and the TSS is significantly lower than last week when I was in the plan. (Plan builder 10+ hours high volume) I’d hate to go backwards as I’m really getting into the thick of XCM racing with some key events coming up quick… did I do something wrong on my end?

Thanks for the release! Excited to give it a go. I just updated my HV, full distance tri training plan, and the new workout recommendations look reasonable – for someone with no TR training history. The recommendations are currently quite “dumbed down” – much easier than the previous HV/full plan. For instance, I’ve been doing Phoenix/Gibraltar/Polar Bear/Phoenix +1 for the last year and a half, and now I’m seeing Phoenix -2, Gibraltar -2, etc. And the dreaded VO2max workouts used to be things like Dade -1, Bago, Mist…now they look like a walk in the park.

Maybe this is TR’s hint that I’m too old for this triathlon stuff and it’s time to take up golf? :wink:

More seriously, I’m curious to see if the plan adapts automatically, or if I’ll need to manually update workouts. Love the theory behind adaptive training, though as a former ML practitioner, I won’t be surprised if there’s a gap between theory and practice, especially at the launch of a new product.

But kudos for taking the leap, this is definitely the right direction, and I’m happy to be one of many guinea pigs. Thanks!

I’m agreeing with you here @hvvelo. I’m surprised by the significant drop in progression levels in the new plans. I’m in the middle of sustained power build and the second half has been nerfed by the update… Presumably if I were using AT the workouts would continue scaling… but without AT I can’t expect many challenges or improvements without significantly modifying the plan manually…

3 Likes

Wait, I think I might want my old plan back…it sounds like AT isn’t actually available unless you’re in the beta? So I will indeed need to update all of the workouts manually if I believe that the former plan had the right difficulty level? Alternatively, put me in the beta, pretty please?

4 Likes

Perhaps a partial solution here is to use TrainNow to make an AT based recommendation and match the duration and energy system of the planned workout?

Been using TN for almost a month now and really enjoying it. Makes a lot more sense with the levels now.

1 Like

Preface: I have not had much time to dive deep into my new updated calendar

I love how open the TR team is but I think it would be nice to look at messaging around AT and how it relates to current plans. From my understanding you guys are taking a smart slow release of AT with proper checks and balances but for me it becomes difficult when you say

When is AT going public? This means that many of us may be training sub optimal for a long time.

I am very sorry @Jonathan this is not meant to be an attack on you. I have lots of respect for all the team does at TR but I think this is an honest oversight since there is only a relatively small group that has access to AT

4 Likes

The TrainNow feature looks good. Not seeing the Productive / Achievable flags at the bottom of each workout that is mentioned at some length in the podcast.

@Jonathan, sorry not seeing the Alternatives to the Workouts that are mentioned in the podcast. What version of the app has all these new features in it? Thanks.

That’s only in beta at the moment as part of AT.

I’m curious at the disconnect between the plans and Train Now. For example, my Train Now recommendation this morning is the rather brutal Devore (2x23mins at FTO with a 4 minute break, 0.94 IF, Threshold 6.4), which is far beyond anything in the final 4 weeks of low volume sustained build that I have in the diary.

1 Like

In low volume, TSS and workout levels are lower with new plans. I am in the middle of sustained build plan. If I update with new plans won’t this derail my progression?

I’ve just looked at the update to my current speciality phase plan and i have to say the taper now looks much more like a taper and the new plans overall look much more achievable. I’m really looking forward to the personal level rankings as a way to help optimise and refine my training.

If anyone knows where @Captain_Doughnutman is please ask him to send me next week’s lottery numbers cause he knows the future!

On a more serious note @Jonathan and @Nate_Pearson I’m sure workout levels are great if you’re on a plan.

For those of us not on a plan who have put a lot of effort into understanding how to build out a progression based on rolling TSS and IF, if workout levels are the new hotness, it would be helpful if the documentation actually provided some insight on how to use levels to achieve the same.

Perhaps IF and TSS are flawed, but most metrics are flawed in some ways. But there is a lot of information out there on how to use IF and TSS to build successful plans to achieve a goal, which makes them incredibly useful.

1 Like

Same here, update then got black screen of death…submitted ticket and (as always) support was amazing and sorted it out by sending a link to download a development version of TR which solved issue. Sure support will sort you out, they are so so good.