πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰ New Product Release! Updated Training Plans, Workout Levels, TrainNow Updates πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

Once again, harder is not better. I am confident you’ll have better performance with these new plans.

4 Likes

Thanks. I am excited by AT and the almost gamification of being able to β€˜level up’ although do struggle to comprehend how it will be better when the harder workouts resulted in 100% compliance this year. Hmmm

2 Likes

One point that bears mentioning is the intent with recreating these plans.

If the goal was to make the plans easier, we could have just whipped out a whole plan of Baxters real quick :wink:

The goal was not to make the plans easier or to make them harder. It was to analyze data about completion rates, difficulty, productivity, and do so at a really high resolution so we could create data-driven plans that increase the odds of making all of us athletes faster.

12 Likes

Another point on that: Just completing a workout doesn’t mean you get all of the intended benefit. We’ve talked about this commonly on the forum and podcast, but do the same plan with more sleep, better nutrition and lower life stress (ultimately better recovery and less stress) and you will likely get better adaptations from that work.

These plans are designed with that context in mind – not just looking at individual workouts, but how to set athletes up to get the most improvement.

So I bet 100% on the new plans will get you even further than before. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Personally I think they’re fantastic and with AT (when I get it) will be excellent for this 56 year old as I get older and continue training with TR - Thanks TR team.

5 Likes

If you’re doing them next year, then you’ll have AT and they will automatically get harder for you.

If you’re doing them right now and you’re not on AT beta, then you can jump ahead in levels for the same workout progression. IE if it is a level 6 threshold over-under workout, try doing a 7 or 8.

But as Jon said, harder != better. Having a little more aggressive recovery and progressive system might actually make you in a better super compensation phase and you end up being faster.

15 Likes

Thanks! - I knew you had to be normalizing the range based on something.

It’s arbitrary though.

Ie for threshold we do 60 mins at threshold at level 10. You most likely don’t need to try to extend that any further and you’ll get more benefit from raising your FTP and increasing the wattage.

1 Like

β€œbut you don’t really need to do those”

It seems this could go two ways.

β€œBut my ego says I have to bag them”

or

β€œThank @#%$ for that!”

Maybe β€˜subjective’ is a better description than arbitrary - there is reasoning behind how hard a β€˜10’ is for each category/energy system. (I’m assuming a 1-hour interval is not a 10 for all energy systems - that would be arbitrary.)
I think for threshold (and above) the limits are more readily apparent - 2 hours at 102% of FTP is likely not humanly possible for correctly set FTP. It might be useful to flag workouts that are completed but that should not be possible and suggest the user update their FTP :slight_smile: For efforts below FTP I think the β€˜humanly possible’ limits are likely more squishy.
I think normalizing things like you have done makes the levels intuitively useful - things that are close to 10 either don’t need work or my FTP needs updating. (or at least that’s my take-away of how to think about them.)

You need a hot key or AI generated auto response with this quote for quite a few posts in this thread and many more to come I am sure :wink:

4 Likes

More to remind myself when training than anything else, tbh :woozy_face:

5 Likes

19 Likes

That’s a lot of damage!

3 Likes

For some reason I can’t currently access my calendar on web. It loads for a while, but ends up on the error page β€œOuch! We’ve taken a nasty spill!”…

Maybe some timeout on load or something like that?

Anyone else having this issue?

1 Like

My two cents: I’m excited about the new plans. For me they look a lot more achievable. I think I’m closer to whatever part of the curve these stock plans were built for than a lot of the people who are on mid- or high-volume and nailing everything. It looks like I’ll be able to complete more of the workouts at the prescribed intensity, and consequently get the adaptations that I’m looking for. The old plans were fine, once I realized that I need to adjust things from time to time, based on how I felt or what else is going on in my life.

I’m very excited for these base plans with the AT adaptations. I think I’m starting to see why the TR folks are so eager to squash bugs and get to the wide release.

4 Likes

I’ve been refreshing this page every day since the announcement, I’ve noticed that the number of users in the beta has slowed down considerably. Can’t wait for those bugs be squashed! Personally I got into cycling in March and did training plans on zwift and even had a coach for a month setting me up to train for an everesting event. Every since around July thought my training became less and less consistent since the job stress was getting too much. Now here I am many months later and only doing maybe one or two rides a month no matter how many times I delete and re-create the trainer road training plan. Hoping that now work is getting a little better, and with adaptive training it can ease me back into finally achieving my goals :slight_smile:

1 Like

yep

1 Like

We have reports of a few folks experiencing this. Should be resolved soon!

1 Like

Thanks @IvyAudrain! I’ll check it again tomorrow.