New KICKR Core - a few questions

Happy to. :smiley: Let us know if that works.

Once you set that, the Zwift setting of NOT pairing the trainer in the Controlled box is correct, just like you have been doing. So your power meter will still propel you in Z like you want.

1 Like

It’s weird but last few times I tried doing an advanced spin down on my Kickr Core it would fail and not finish. Was annoying for sure that it wouldn’t do it, but I eventually just shrugged it off used my Quarq as my power source.

1 Like

I have only done a handful of Advanced ones vs the more common regular ones. I’ve had a regular one fail a time or two, but never an Advanced issue. I know sometimes they give random fails from insufficient speed or other reasons.

Hi @mcneese.chad I did a simple 1 hour Z2 session this afternoon and have things working great thanks to your advice.

Wahoo BOLT on, paired to trainer, then chose the mode with resistance level. Popped it on 3.

Zwift on, paired to Stages for power and cadence, trainer control off.

Hit start on the Bolt and Zwift and the resistance was there. Noticed the KICKR is still reading a lot higher (20+ watts at around 210-220w) but I’m not concerned with that right now.

Thanks again, I’ll report back to see how things go in workout mode, can’t see there will be any issues though.

1 Like

Awesome! Glad you got what you wanted working now. Happy training :smiley:

1 Like

So I wanted to update this post with the power inaccuracies I’m finding which has resulted in Wahoo offering an exchange.

I’ve been using the Stages for 6 years so I feel I know what power feels like. I’ve aligned this with HR as well and it’s clear the KICKR is over reading. Great if you want to race on Zwift (I’m not) but not great if you want to use it for everyday training. Hoping the new unit works better.

I don’t see how you could intuitively feel a 2-12% difference.

If I’m doing a steady state effort, 60 minutes at tempo, then 299W would feel a lot different to 263W. My heart rate and RPE is firmly in the tempo range not the top end of SS as the KICKR Core is reflecting.

On these two devices, they would feel exactly the same, right? You are just assuming the Stages is correct and the Kickr is wrong. I’m just saying that there is no way to know going on feel. They could both be off by 6% and true power is halfway in the middle.

Let us know how the replacement Kickr compares.

I just went though this with my Tacx trainer. It was way off. I got a Kickr and it’s a lot closer to my Stages but now I just take all power measurements from my Stages whether I ride indoors or outdoors.

1 Like

New KICKR Core arrived, setup, spin down etc.

Tonight’s session 60 minutes at 240-260w. (Tempo).

New Core 10% over Stages again.

I used Zwift and Kickr, Stages and BOLT.

Heart rate looks right for Stages. Going to try and get a 3rd source in the mix but there is something I’m not sure on. I can start my wahoo and Zwift at exactly the same time but after an hour (no stops just continual effort) the BOLT will end up about 10-15s ahead of the Zwift time. Could that be an issue?

Anyway. Deeply frustrating, was hoping the new one would align more with Stages. :man_shrugging: