New bike dilemma

For some reason Emonda SL6 is the only one with smaller logo :slight_smile: I also hate the branding from Trek. Interestingly they did not allow me to test the bike :slight_smile: Maybe it is my fault then.

I really dig the look of Addict and Foil. 2021 paint is awesome. I think Addict would be ok for the roads around - but I agree that considering that Wroclaw is flat as a pancake Foil would be a perfect bike for fast rides (but harsh).

2 Likes

Scott bikes are underrated IMO. You don’t see that many in the UK but I have never ridden a bad one. For me it was always a shame about the paint until the last year or 2. Foil might be a bit long and low for me, but I’m old :rofl:

3 Likes

They let my kid test ride his bike, and I’ve been throwing a fair amount of business their way since.
Not being able to test a 20k bike before buying would defo rule them out of contention… what were they thinking :expressionless:

Reading at reviews and feedback from users, not that harsh it seems (cue the “won Roubaix” spiel :roll_eyes:)

2 Likes

The more I think about it, the more I think it doesn’t make sense to stick with Campag, and that I should just get a brand new modern bike.
I’ll have to figure out a few months later if there is even any point keeping the old steed then :cry:
Would be a shame for it to be relegated to being just a turbo training mount.

2 Likes

I once worked with a guy who owned a Porsche. I’m not a car guy, but it was one of the sportier models with a whale tail. He was telling me what a wonderful car it was. I was trying to figure out how he got groceries home. Then he told me how much an oil change (from the Porsche dealer) cost. And that he replaced the tires every 3000 miles because they were very soft rubber. I saw it as a choice of sexy over economy and/or practicality.

I tell that story because it sounds like you’re struggling with a similar choice. Personally, I’d choose economy/practicality. But sexy is a valid choice if that’s what makes you happy, and you walk into the proposition with eyes wide open and are okay with the consequences–and your wife is on board :rofl:.

3 Likes

Maybe OT, but I once briefly owned an expensive (for me!) sports car. I could afford the second hand purchase; what i struggled to afford was the upkeep. My daughter also did not like being unable to see out when seated in the back, my other half felt like she couldn’t get in or out in a skirt, you couldn’t get a bike in it, and it had the low speed manoeuvrability of the Bismarck.

But then a car is arguably a practical purchase in a way a bike, for most of us here, is not, and I think if you’re spending top dollar on a machine which is way over-engineered in terms of a simple mode of transport, then there has to be at least some ‘sexy’. Otherwise - to mix metaphors horribly - you will always have a wandering eye.

2 Likes

I’m struggling with this as well. The old logic always used to be to keep your old bike as a beater bike for winter and bad weather training. Problem is that the advent of new bikes with disc brakes and wide tire clearance has turned that on it’s head as it makes no sense at all to head out in wet weather on your old bike with rim brakes and narrow tires!

Best option may be to sell the old bike and use the cash to get a second set of wheels for the new bike. Run a deepish nice set of wheels with 25-28mm race tires for the days where speed is the priority, and a shallow set of cheaper wheels with wider and more resilient tires for the rest of the time. Or just buy 2 disc brake bikes…

2 Likes

Ha ha, I see where you’re going with this.
After moving to Poland, I sold my RS5 because I just couldnt’ justify it anymore :cry:
Hence, no qualms about splashing on the bike :stuck_out_tongue:

I does feel wrong though. I will get so little money for it… Arg!

1 Like

Thank god somebody finally spelled it right… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Is this the biggest news for a bike industry for a while? If it is true I imagine bike designers throwing out current designs and start from scratch. Maybe in a 3 years time we will see something new?

2 Likes

Damn! It will be too late for me by then. :smiley:

Part one of Holybinch’s dilemma is on its way to being sorted, as quoted earlier this week, I’m going to go with what my brain tells me is right.
So, I’ve dug further, and I’ve come up with what is still a quite extensive list.
In no specific order:
Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 Aero Di2
Rose REVEAL SIX DISC
Merida REACTO DISC LTD
SCOTT FOIL 10
SCOTT ADDICT RC 15
Lapierre AIRCODE DRS 7.0
Focus IZALCO MAX DISC 9.6
Orbea ORCA M20ITEAM

The Rose and the Orbea have a slight disadvantage, in the fact that they wont’ be available until Feb and March, respectively.
Both Scotts? No idea when they would be available.
The Lapierre has JUST been announced, too, so :man_shrugging:
Does it really matter? I don’t think so. Considering how the weather has turned here, I doubt I’d be doing enough cycling outside to really regret these wasted months… I’d better wait longer and get the bike I really need/want

Now, if you could help me whittle that list down, that would be shweet, for sure!

1 Like

Just my 2cents: Guess they are all good bikes, on paper nothing wrong with any of them. How about getting a bike fit and then choosing the bike that suits you best?

2 Likes

Very fair point. However, 2 of those at direct to consumer (Canyon/Rose) and the others are not necessarily the most accessible bikes to get in our neck of the woods :cry:

1 Like

That’s why I would get a bike fit - from an independent bike fitter. They will tell you what bike suits you (stack / reach / crank length / stem / handlebar width etc). And then either with the fitter or alone choose the bike that works for your body. Either look at the geometry charts on their websites or use sth like geometry geeks.

An other way is to look at the geometry chart of your current bike and hold that against the new ones. From there you can also get an idea what the new one would be like. 5cm more reach and 5cm less stack might be an issue for example :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah, yesh, understood.
I got a bike fit about 3 months ago, so my position on my current bike is pretty dialled in, albeit quite relaxed.
I’ve discussed options with my fitter, and applied that to get the best shortlist I could.
Let’s see where it leads me. I need to go and test some bikes, and it’s not really the best year for that :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This. I have a very good idea what reach, stem, stack, spacer height, standover height and handlebar width work for me. This means I can look at the geometry guide to any bike and have a good notion of whether or not I will fit it. It also means you don’t get caught out by weird sizing. For example, Trek H1.5 geometry is pretty much perfect for me in a 54 (with 20-25mm of spacers under the stem). My Mason is a 52, and has an identical reach and 10mm more stack, so I run 15mm of spacers.

As far as the list goes, I’d personally be inclining towards the Scotts or the Orbea, but practical concerns (i.e. availability) may sway you elsewhere. I’d note that there’s a fair variety in types of bike (i.e. aero, race, and endurance) on that list, so you might want to think a bit about what you really want from it.

2 Likes

Testing a few might be a good idea to figure out what you actually prefer / what’s an important quality for you. Your current shortlist is a bit ‘all over the place’. I mean the first two are endurance bikes, then as far as I can see a mix of aero bikes and lightweight climbing bikes. I’ve put the first 5 into geometry geeks (size M) and your current bike (unfortunately no stack / reach available at geometry geeks for that). As you can see they are quite different.

5 Likes

Always worth noting that you can modify total reach with a shorter or longer stem (though if you’re having to go outside the 90-110mm range that’s probably a warning the bike’s not right) and increase stack with spacers.

2 Likes

Of course smaller adjustments are always possible. But if the frame isn’t fitting the adjustments might either influence the handling or look like this :grin::

4 Likes

32’s are the new 28’s. H

2 Likes