Neverending knee pain/quitting cycling

I got those…worked for about 6 months the first time…second time only about 3 weeks…doc said that is pretty common.

FWIW here is my YouTube playlist with most of the exercise I do: Strength and Maintenance - YouTube

2 Likes

The core/glute excercise I started with has a unilateral glute bridge as its basis. I do not know if there is a customary english name for this excercise, but here goes.

So, say you do it with the right foot. Brace your core while squeezing the right glute to make the bridge. Simultaneously flex your left knee towards your torso a bit so that you can place your right hand on it. Now you are in the bridge with a left knee - right hand contact. Keeping the glute squeezed and core braced (avoid trunk rotation!), push the left knee with your right hand and pull the knee into the hand with the hip flexor. The push need not be too hard, just to provide resistance. This will challenge the hip flexor, the glute and the core. The idea was to hold this position and try to keep the hip fully extended the whole time.

The variation I did was one where you hold the end position for 30sec at a time. I did (and do) 5 x 30sec each leg. Progression by adding reps or placing the working foot a bit higher.

The eccentric squat with the belt I did like in the video below (though without the wedge, so on level floor): https://youtu.be/XyZDvaImgao

Went down very slowly, maybe in 4-5 sec, semi-paused 1sec at the bottom, then up in 1 sec. So emphasis on the eccentric part. Typically did 3x10 or so, which usually was quite enough. Progressions by adding weight. I still sometimes use the tirante / russian belt when experiencing patellar pain, but this is luckily rare.

And as a disclaimer: remember that I was the patient being instructed, not an expert doing the instructing after making an assesment. The responsible thing to say is that it is probably a good idea to consult an expert before trying these.

I could be wrong - I haven’t read every post carefully- but was there ever a specific diagnosis here? If not, that has to be the starting point. Most of us would not accept persistent headaches and a doc saying ‘try x or y’ without an overarching explanation as to what the problem was and how x or y might help…

1 Like

When I began cycling 6 years ago after 25 years totally away sports, I had some pain on knees. My believe was that my cadence were too low on the climbs for these initial years… Finally, my cadence is much lighter, and Trainerroad helped with that too. I’m free of knee pain since then.

Also, imho I’d check cleats, saddle,…

I went through 3 years of constant knee pain. I believe if you have chronic pain over 6 months with no clear physical cause then there is probably a large mental component and you have to address that first before the PT will work. I saw a pain psychologist and did a lot of meditation, along with taking many months off the bike completely to clear my mind of the need to ride. With chronic pain your brain has sensitized that region of your body so that any weird signal from that body part will be interpreted as dangerous; you need to break that pattern before you can heal. The technique that worked most for me is called “somatic tracking”. You can heal from long term pain - don’t give up!

I was having hamstring/knee pain and hit this dude up: https://www.instagram.com/socalbikept/?hl=en
He got me back on the bike and have been riding/training a bunch since he fixed me up last year. I had gone through a few bike fits and even went to the Dr… none of it helped until I saw him!