Never backpedal during an effort!

Some good advice here from Jesse Coyle.

Topic for the next podcast?

6 Likes

In b4 it blows up.
Just incase, because the video is an obvious bait.

:bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

10 Likes

Personally I think it’s best to just don’t give him oxygen (not physically, I don’t mean kill him, just remove his attention)

5 Likes

I tried back-pedalling once, then quickly remembered that I was rding on rollers. Wasn’t pretty!

36 Likes

I don’t do it cos I’m normally in erg mode and it makes it really hard to start up again…

5 Likes

Yes we should never listen to anyone with dissenting views.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem to be someone with just dissenting views but someone that uses click bait claims. He has an axe to grind and we fall for it

2 Likes

On most trainers, it will take ERG about 10-15 seconds to give up the resistance and let you start again pretty easy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:rofl:

Yes we should always listen to people with clickbait videos.

5 Likes

If you lived in Sydney then you’d know that Jesse Coyle is a hitter. He is a qualified cycling coach and a successful cyclist himself. He is at least qualified to have such opinions.

7 Likes

But he can have the views without mentioning TrainerRoad at all :thinking:

5 Likes

Yep no one should ever make a youtube video with “trainerroad” in it otherwise it is clickbait.

2 Likes

But backpedalling was TrainerRoad’s advice…

I love TR just as much the next guy in this forum but don’t be so offended when someone has a differing opinion. Who’s right? Who’s wrong? Is it right to use ERG mode? Is it right to not use ERG mode?

1 Like

IDK if the TR advice is to back pedal in the middle of a vo2 max.

I think he is comparing apples to oranges here

TR uses the trainer in erg and there is no way to slow down if it get too hot…
If you are doing a running lap and it get too hot for you…you slow down… you don’t stop

Anyway … he is trying to bait people and hope to get similar traction as Dilan got last year…

4 Likes

Back pedaling puts my Favero Be Pro S into dynamic calibration mode so I avoid it anyway.

1 Like

Yes, no one should ever make a video without employing clickbait tactics, otherwise they would have to generate content that is actually popular.

This was fun, but my point has been made. I will lay down the blade of my rapier wit for now, and part as respected adversaries. :person_fencing:

2 Likes

Meh, another mischaracterization of TR advice. I used to occasionally use backpedaling years ago. However I’ve found it’s more difficult to restart again so it’s not very helpful. For me, I either have it and finish out the interval or I don’t. No backpedaling is going to get me through it.

6 Likes

index

3 Likes

If i back pedal is definitely not in the middle of a hard interval… Because like you said is he’s to restart…

Backpedaling is better suited on the very sart of the recovery portion of interval…kinda like walking at the end of a hard 400 on the track …

4 Likes