MTB Saddle Height vs road setup?

Hey all – noob MTB question here…

As far as saddle height* goes on a mountain bike – should I be using the same height at my road bikes? Or lower? Or something else altogether? What is the general consensus?

Would appreciate any tips - thanks!

*assume the crank length is the same and, yes, I have a dropper post.

1 Like

You can consider something close, the shoe and pedal stack are something that can impact final height values.

So, consider the differences and make adjustments as needed. It’s not uncommon to have it longer or shorter between the setups.

I think it also depends on riding style, terrain, and bike setup.

If you have a dropper post and a similar cleat position, than I would shoot for the same, then adjust for any differences in crank length and pedal/shoe stack height.

I used to have a hardtail and I would set the saddle height lower than my road saddle, then “hover” more often. It also gives more room to get behind the saddle when descending.

Now I run a full suspension with a dropper post, so the extra room to move when descending is less important. BUT I do use flat pedals when mountain biking, and use a more foot forward position on these pedals than on my road bike, which leads me to prefer a lower saddle height on the MTB than my road bike.

2 Likes

It is a pretty good starting point to measure the from the top of the saddle to the centre of the cranks, then take into account the different crank arm lengths as a starting point and then take into account the points @mcneese.chad mentioned.

3 Likes

Hi!
From my personal experience don’t really matter how do you set it up, the main demand that it should be firmly fixed and not hang out when you riding :slight_smile:
Also, If you can get fitted for a saddle. It will ensure you’re on the sit bones when riding.
You can then add a gel cover for more comfort. You can be sitting on a “Park Bench” saddle but if you’re not on the sit bones your ass is gonna be numb/hurt.
Hope it helps!
Cheers

1 Like