Mid-ride recovery

That’s a good point, thanks for bringing it up.

There’s a couple of things to say here.

First is that my FTP is set via ramp test, as it has been since I started TR. I rarely test my FTP over longer durations such as 1hr TTs so it may be fair to say that the ramp test doesnt give me the best number for longer distance pacing. Having said that, I’ve always found the FTP I’m given to work well with TR workouts. Turning down the intensity isn’t something I need to do regularly.

Secondly, I’ve been riding unstructured since March when we were locked down. The weather’s been so good that I’ve preferred riding for enjoyment than sitting inside on the turbo. So there’s definitely the possibility that my FTP has suffered as a result of this.

I did fuel from the start. See earlier where I mentioned that the first 50 miles consisted of 1L of energy drink mix and some solid food. I haven’t calculated the total carb intake but it’s not miles away from a normal ride. You can still make the argument that the extra intensity did make a difference to fuelling, but its incorrect to suggest I wasn’t fuelling right from the beginning.

Thanks. I’m definitely open to that option, see above.

I’m not very good with the analysis tools, but when I look at the first half of my ride it says the IF is 0.77? and the second half is 0.51.

Yeah I couldn’t agree more. Maybe the lack of structure has been enough to hurt me on this ride!

1 Like