Mantras - what's yours?

Kudos to anyone who can use mantras effectively. For me, personally, I find them a bit insipid (kind of like self-affirmations, “every day, in every way…”). But if it works, do it!

What does work for me is counting. I may not believe I can finish another minute, but I know I can count 10 breaths (forceful inhales and exhales if it’s a hard workout). Then, when I get close to 10, I think “20”. Then “30”. And so on.

I saw this method recommended in a YouTube video on ultra marathons. Interestingly Cheryl Strayed mentioned the same technique in her book, “Wild”, about hiking the Pacific Coast Trail.

1 Like

Counting is mantra-ish, but it’s much more of a meditation technique. And we all know how good that stuff is for us!

1 Like

If you read “The Brave Athlete”, “How Bad Do You Want It”, or “Let Your Mind Run”, you’d have an understanding of the power of mantras. If you don’t know the how or why mantra’s work, the sports psychology behind it and how your mind (more accurately the parts of your mind/brain) versus body are in conflict; then mantras can seem silly, frivolous and useless as memes and over used phrases like “just do it”.

I agree with @Captain_Doughnutman, counting is not a mantra, but still effective. It’s two avenues to reach the same goal.

3 Likes

Other than the inride instructions (Chad) I’m Interested in any mind games you use to help you ‘tough it out’ and get through a workout.

Last week I did Galena 3x20 min just below threshold and I found myself breaking each segment down into 4 sections:

1. Adjust (to the workload)
  2. Settle (into the effort)
  3. Focus (on good form - take the mind away from accumulated fatigue)
  4. Finish strong

So what’s working for you?

4 Likes

I did Leconte Lamarck and Laconte and my trick was to count pedal strokes, either total, or I break it down in to 1 minute sections. Then when I reset my count to 0 drop my shoulders, note my position and make adjustments (if I slid forward for instance) and keep focus on counting.

2 Likes

This has been addressed several times, using the search function in the upper right helps you find related topics…

And here…

This to…

2 Likes

Bit weird but I tend to mutter Fasta Pasta, the gf now also chants it at me if I look like I am flagging!

2 Likes

Your mamma is watching - Coach Chad, Ramp Test

I don’t really have any when training except for calling @chad every name I can think of when its hurting… sorry chad.

At an event my chats go something like:

• Smooth is fast, fast is smooth.
  • Eyes up, breath, tip it in and have fun.
1 Like

Don’t know if it counts as a “mantra”, but I find counting off steps (running) or pedal strokes (cycling) helps me detach from physical discomfort and keep pace through hard efforts.

“1, 2, 3, 4,
1, 2, 3, 4,
1, 2, 3, 4 …”

1 Like

Used this with our 10-year-old son while skiing: “eyes up, hands forward.” Just priming him to “talk back” to the internal negativity seemed to help. He reported using it when he came over a hill and his brain reportedly said “you’re dead.” He did fine.

I like telling myself Nike’s slogan: “Just do it” or Peter Sagan’s quote: “When they tell me to win, I win”.

When you are doing a workout, stop finding excuses. Embrace the pain and do it from start to finish.

3 Likes

Mine is from a Guano Apes song:

With the lord of the boards you’ll come and get around

I have no idea why that starts repeating when it really sucks. I sure could use a new one.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs; who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt

2 Likes

Ditto :call_me_hand:

sometimes Kelly Clarkson comes to mind… “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger…” :woman_shrugging::joy::joy: … technically, assuming you get through the workout and recover appropriately, adaptions, etc, etc. :nerd_face:

everyone else is going home when it gets hard; don’t.

1 Like

I don’t have a mantra as such, when the going gets really hard on the trainer I focus on imagining regular climbs I conquer outside, or beating a friend outside to a regular landmark etc.

1 Like

“Pain heals…chicks dig scars…glory lasts forever” The Replacements

3 Likes

Saw this on the Golden Cheetah website:

It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.

Paul “Bear” Bryant

2 Likes

Not quite a mantra but I imagine disactivating my engine room’s safety measures. In my mind it’s one of those covered switches where you have to flip back the cover before pressing the button. Pressing this imaginary button buys me more time in the red zone. I hope that makes sense!

At sub redline levels of effort I use “low and loose” as in keep aero and don’t tense up.

2 Likes