Lionel Sanders takes Lemmon KOM from Phil Gaimon

The video is of his first attempt. Since he recorded the video, he made a second attempt and got the KOM.

4 Likes

Ok cool - my bad

That’s a crazy amount of power at that average HR… 382W 138BPM…

1 Like

I realize I sound like an a-hole, but this isn’t really that impressive of a time–in comparison to WT riders–when you look at his w/kg (~5). It is impressive given he’s not a pro-cyclist.

If you look at his zone distribution he rode the entirety of the climb at threshold–given it’s about 75 min this should be totally within his limits.

Like other’s have said, this is like domestique status in the World Tour.

3 Likes

Has it? Seems like this is something cyclists have been doing since the start of cycling. Riding on roads. Not sure Strava has aided in cyclist doing things that are more dangerous.

2 Likes

But actually really impressive when you realize that he’s only been riding a bike for 7 years…and spent the 7 years before that partying hard.

Compare that ride by a 32 year-old non-bike specific athlete with the ride of a 21 year-old climbing-specific high w/kg cyclist, Sepp Kuss…

6 Likes

I only wonder what this does to @Captain_Doughnutman man crush on Lionel :grin:

(Some other thread)

2 Likes

we’ve got some segments around here with one or two stop signs. It doesn’t happen a lot, but segment chasers have been known to blow thru at 25-35mph and sad to say, myself included. I’ve done 58 laps around the sun so you would think age would bestow wisdom but I still find myself thinking like a teenager… Yesterday I saw a twenty-something friend KOM a .22 mile segment at 31mph and it is a narrow paved trail with 90 degree blind corner (he was at 29.5mph). I literally cringed, so maybe logging all those trips around the sun mean something? So yeah, I think Strava segment chasing can entice otherwise safe&sane people to take unnecessary risks.

p.s. can’t help but add he did 26 seconds at 709W making my 33 seconds at 440W look sluggish :man_facepalming: see I did it again :man_shrugging: need. to. stop. looking. at. Strava. segments.

4 Likes

Yeah… but Segment chasing can be totally safe if you pick the right segments. I’m all for it, as long as people are safe. =)

4 Likes

Bah! :unamused:

Guess I can no longer count on the faulty memory faculties of others to steer my commentaries. :zipper_mouth_face:

I’d give LS a 9.25/10 now. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

yup, that is what I focus on these days.

I think I’d have to agree with this.

5 Likes

Meh. Apples to not apples.

1 Like

You can flag segments in strava as dangerous. I’ve flagged ones just like you’ve described many times.

4 Likes

Strong username to post ratio

2 Likes

Well the peloton still needs mid level domestiques doesn’t it?

There are plenty of pro cyclists with crappy attitudes too. And even if he isn’t listening to others about training and nutrition, it seems like he’s doing alright anyway

4 Likes

I love Lionel but think he’d be dangerous in the peloton.

1 Like

…Or entertaining :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yes. 382w or 5w/kg for 75 min is damn impressive.

5 Likes

My recent Hour Record posted me at 3.5w/kg.
No way I could do a 75min VO2max interval to hit 5w/kg!! :tired_face::face_vomiting:

3 Likes