Lifetime Fitness Grand Prix Racing Discussion

That’s true, but they are not broadcasting that content live. I skimmed the article, and I think it is fair to say that capturing interesting live coverage of these races is a daunting task, so I’m not surprised that it has ended up being underwhelming. I think the live coverage money would be better spent on helping produce good after-race coverage, likely by funding coverage by ‘good’ youtubers, and helping provide race footage to all of them.

1 Like

There is no way to efficiently broadcast these races live….no moto to helicopter link for consistent signals so they are reliant on cell signals.

I am perfectly OK with getting good, concise edited recaps of the races after they have finished….Payson McElveen has indicated that Lifetime is working on a “Drive To Survive” style series / documentary of the races.

3 Likes

Agreed - I think the return on investment for engaging content after the fact will be vastly higher than what live coverage would cost.
Maybe when drones have Starlink connections we can get live aerial coverage for much less than helicopters cost. I could see at some point live coverage of the last hour or so being able to be done with sufficiently capable and cost effective drones, but that is years away.

1 Like

Based on the scoring system, Keegan has the men’s title wrapped up with 3rd place among the Grand Prix riders and 28 points at Chequamegon. He doesn’t even finish at Big Sugar.

Haley Smith is looking good for the women’s title unless she falls out of the top 5 at Big Sugar and Sarah Sturm or Sofia Gomez Villafane win it or, in Sturm’s case, finish 2nd.

I believe the rules specifically require all competitors to compete at Big Sugar. But yeah, he can DNF after 1km and still win.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure they can scratch/not show up to 1 race from the series.

1 Like

You are correct. Big Sugar is mandatory and the tiebreaker as well.