Let's see your Steel builds!

I’m eagerly awaiting the delivery of a Hampsten I’ve on order that’ll be used for road duties but here are my two dirt machines.

My Kelly Knobby-X, such a blast to ride. Mostly used for racing CX but shown here in its chubby gravel configuration.

For trail duties, I’ve got this chonker. It’s a 1st generation Singular Gryphon, I’ve cracked it once but it is still going strong after a repair by Waltworks.

10 Likes

You’ll love your Hampsten! I drooled over one for years, and one day my husband surprised me with an appointment with Steve. Meanwhile he rejected the idea of getting himself a custom bike for years, even after seeing how much I loved mine. When he finally broke down and got one, he wished he had done it earlier, and now he has two…

4 Likes

That’s such a great story! Strangely enough, I feel like I’ve read an account of this on another forum. Really looking forward to one of my own.

You might have - I think I posted about it elsewhere ages ago :slight_smile:

1 Like

My Ritchey Ultra, love this thing.

18 Likes

Oh… my… that is amazing!!!

That bike kicks butt - nice job!!

1 Like

Legit dream bike, incredible.

1 Like

Cargo bikes are the best. For the longest time it was by far the easiest way to carry our kid (who hated riding in the car). We know a couple of families here in Seattle that are able to skip having a car due to their cargo bikes and for sure it took the pressure off my family to get a second car.

My wife has been pining after a box bike because we can’t really carry the dog on our longtail, so I won’t be showing her your pics, sorry. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah I’m so happy with it, rides so well!

2 Likes

Thanks!!

1 Like

Yeah, I love it!

7 Likes

New Surly Wednesday. One ride and I’m in love.

9 Likes

Finally took the time to take some pictures of probably my favorite bike: the Brewery Cruiser :tm:. I’m fortunate enough to own a few fairly high performance bikes that are light, aero, stiff, etc. but this heavy steel clunker is just pure childlike joy to ride.

I’m most proud of the custom dynamo installation on a frame that was definitely not intended for it. The wiring comes up the DS fork leg to the front light, then out of the steerer (had to drill but don’t worry, it’s ~12ga steel), down the downtube, barely fit around the bb, then up the seattube and out a small hole in the seatpost head to the rear light. I spliced in some small connectors so that the fork and seatpost are still removable. Took way too many hours of fishing wires, soldering, and crimping but I love the super clean result.

Frame: Kona Humuhumu
Cockpit: Whisky Mountain Stem and No.9 Carbon Riser Bar
Grips: ODI x Vans
Seatpost: Whisky No.7 Carbon
Saddle: Brooks Cambium C-17
Drivetrain and brakes: Shimano SLX
Crankset: White Industries ENO
Pedals: Diety Compound
Tires: Compass (now René Herse) Antelope Hill
Rims: WTB i19
Rear Hub: Shimano XT
Front Hub: Shutter Precision Dynamo
Lights: Supernova E3

15 Likes

Retrotec Gravel Build

5 Likes

Built this Fondriest Wind last year. Purchased the frame off ebay and added bits of 10 speed Campy I had saved over time. I also converted the Scirroco G3 wheelset to tubeless and added the gum wall Schwalbe One’s for a retro look with modern reliability. Rides like a dream.

15 Likes

Neuhaus Metalworks Hummingbird, built up with Reynolds and AXS GX eagle. Mix of carbon throughout.

11 Likes

6 Likes

8.58kg with bottle cages, garmin mount, without pedals. My first Gravelbike and certainly not my last steelbike. Will go custom stainless steel for my next roadbike as most off the shelf frames don’t really fit me with more legs than torso… could be worse tough. Steelframes look just so sexy and timeless at the same time.

17 Likes