Legacy Pricing of TR

Anyone have any idea how many users TR has? And more importantly when are we organising an annual TR Gala? :biking_man: :man_dancing: :dancer:t4:

You mean #WWDD?

3 Likes

Not replying to anyone in particular but Iā€™ve been a legacy subscriber since, I canā€™t even remember when, possibly approaching a decade.

In that time, weā€™ve had 3 kids and I have gone through long periods of not using TR at all, or using it very minimally. But, largely because of the legacy pricing, Iā€™ve maintained my subscription throughout it all because I value the long term relationship: TR offers legacy pricing, I like their product, so I continue to pay for their service regardless of whether I am actually using it or not.

Itā€™s been a two way street: some years TR is a bargain because of the legacy pricing; some years I am paying for a service I donā€™t use enough to justify on a pure $ basis. TR has probably benefitted more from the relationship over the time Iā€™ve subscribed but Iā€™m using it enough now that the benefit is more in my favour.

I donā€™t feel like that makes me an entitled customer, or that I have any special rights. If TR changed their policy on legacy pricing thereā€™s nothing inherently wrong with that. They need to charge a price that allows them to be profitable. There wouldnā€™t be any hard feelings on my part, I just wouldnā€™t be as committed a paying customer as I have been: basically Iā€™d let my subscription lapse and renew as my time allows.

22 Likes

And this is why companies do legacy pricingā€¦.it keeps their core customers engaged. Financially, @liamodea would have been better off long ago to follow the strategy above. It is a quick math exercise to see where the breakeven point lies.

But people stay on Legacy pricing because it makes them feel specialā€¦.I think I mentioned earlier that I was a ā€œPlankā€ member at the local training center when it first opened. I was forever locked in at $99 / month. Member ship eventually got as high as $159/ monthā€¦.but I also never used the facilities in the summer months, but I kept paying $99 every month to maintain my ā€œplankā€ membership. Even at $159, I would have been far better off paying just for the months I actually used the facilities and paying nothing in between.

1 Like

I can only speak for myself here but, I donā€™t feel special. TR take my money monthly and the threshold workouts still hurt.

In all honestly, TR is probably now (due to life changes), one of my worst cycling expenses. I use it twice, sometimes three times a week for 45 minute sessions. I donā€™t use the plans or AI because my current situation is so erratic, there simply is no point.

Common sense tells me that I should call it a day. I could set a stopwatch and knock out a self-styled threshold or VO2 session. I know what I need, what I enjoy and what keeps me motivated.

Obviously all of the above is personal to me. That said, legacy or not, I donā€™t feel special.

4 Likes

I struggled with the phrasing of thatā€¦it was not meant as a pejorative and why I included my own experience with Legacy pricing and why I kept paying it when the reality was it was financially beneficial for me to lose that status.

2 Likes

Why should anyone worry about what others are paying? The price is stated. You can join at anytime. The time you join does determine your price going forward. Whenever a changed has been announced we have had time to adjust and not miss out. Why is there really an issue?

6 Likes

One thought shared is that if we were all on the same pricing level, we might all be paying a price that is lower than the current level.

• In theory, the people on legacy pricing are paying less for the same product/service as those who joined at the current pricing. That is true despite potentially being an equal strain on the TR system and therefore related cost to TR.
  • So the speculation is that if we all payed the same amount, it would be lower which is a benefit to those users that are not on reduced legacy pricing.

Separate, but partly parallel is that if people all paid the current rate, TR would have more revenue that might lead to more employees or whatever else they need to help roll out more new features and at a faster rate.

Those are the two that spring to mind from my reading, but there are probably more I am missing. There is a third that relates to fairness, but I think that fails in my eyes because in the purest sense, the service is either worth what you pay for it or itā€™s not. Simple value consideration with respect to the person, their needs and budget considerations.

1 Like

Dont think you meant this as you wrote it. Unlikely that a grandfathered rate of $99 or $129 would be higher then a new rate.

Your points while all valid still have me sayingā€¦why should someone care what a long term subscriber is paying. Fairness in whose eyes? Those that have spent say $700 for subscriptions for past years or the one just signing up now who gets the rewards from the development that occurred due to prior subscribers.

• I probably have my wording wrong. Trying another wayā€¦

If you wipe the slate clean and set a price for the TR service that met all the requirements they need, it might be a price for everyone that is lower than the current, regular rate of $20/mo $189/yr. None of us knows what that could be, but people with this view speculate it would be something less than the current rate.

• So it might be a lower price compared to anyone NOT on legacy pricing now, and probably higher price for everyone on legacy pricing now. Does that make more sense?

As to a deeper exploration into any one of these views, I will leave that to those that have them. I just tried to summarize what I see as their viewpoint to quickly answer your question. You are free to read the 1100+ posts above here that dive into this all with plenty of discussion. I think just about every angle has been covered at least once. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Orā€¦ playing devilā€™s advocateā€¦if legacy pricing was ditched, then many legacy subscribers would not pay year round but only for (say) 6 months of the year, causing overall revenue to drop/be more volatile and causing TR to inflate prices for all.

Many legacy subscribers act as a steady constant annual source of income for TR which is what all businesses crave.

13 Likes

A neat thing about being a consumer in a capitalist system is that if you donā€™t like the price of a product, you can choose not to pay for it. Maybe not everyone here knew that.

7 Likes

Or playing devilā€™s advocate to devilā€™s advocate; if legacy pricing didnā€™t exist TrainerRoad wouldnā€™t exist because they wouldnā€™t have had the early adopters to get the software off the ground.

Iā€™ve been a member for five months and get to enjoy the latest iteration of TR software. I canā€™t imagine the improvements made over the last seven years or so or the bugs legacy users had to put up with.

3 Likes

At current pricing id probably be worth less recurring revenue to TrainerRoad. Iā€™d probably only have an active sub during 12wks of base or $60 or $0 and just do my own workouts in zwift. So the $99/yr I pay to TR is really charity of convenience

6 Likes

Wild! :grin:

Iā€™d also add that the perceived value of a product or service is highly individual. If, for example, you really donā€™t like testing and find that AI does a good job of estimating your FTP, that alone could make TR worth pretty much whatever it costs.

If you love testing and/or feel AI doesnā€™t give you good FTP estimates, that bit of TR is worth absolutely nothing.

And so on.

1 Like

This is precisely the premise I tried to disprove further above with the graph. The amount of lost revenue coming from an apparent lower Legacy price is negligible because it is a percentage of the price for a percentage of the total users. This turns out to be a tiny % of the total sales. If you grab this % of sales and distribute it equally on all the users, then the price decrease is in the orders of less than $1 per month or less than $12 per year.

This thread is toxic as hell.

Hereā€™s the deal, I pay TR. They give me product. Thatā€™s it. I donā€™t care what anyone else is paying and if you care what Iā€™m paying it says an awful lot about you.

If TR decides to charge me more or if my situation changes, Iā€™ll have to decide is TR is worth keeping. Thatā€™s it. No one elseā€™s price is a factor.

If I have to start considering other TR users when making this decision, Iā€™m probably out if this thread is any indication. Some of the loudest in this thread are showing just how negative users can be.

24 Likes

You donā€™t. :+1:

1 Like

Even if legacy pricing was gone people would still complain that others used to pay less for TR :joy:

11 Likes

This.

Because of the price I am locked into, I have kept my annual TrainerRoad subscription for the last 2 years without actually using the service but rather to simply keep my pricing locked in just in case. So from me, TrainerRoad has got more out of me due to legacy pricing.

I really should cancel, but I donā€™t want to lose my US$99/year rate :man_facepalming: :smile:

7 Likes