Kreitler Rollers users

I’m shopping for a new trainer set up. My Kinetic wheel on trainer isn’t doing it for me at this point - it just lacks the feel I prefer and I’m struggling on it with harder efforts.

Originally I though that it’s time to just throw down for a wahoo but I honestly can’t afford that this year, maybe next.

In the meantime I realize I have a set of Kreitler rollers that need a new belt and they’d be good to go. I’m looking into the Headwind resistance unit so that I could do most of my training on these. Maybe keep the Kinetic for really hard workouts (and deal with the inferior “road feel”).

Can anyone speak to this set up as it compares to other options? - Kreitler Rollers with the headwind fan resistance unit versus say a wheel in trainer like the Kinetic? I know the fan will be loud and I think I’m ok with that. Just feeling the need to change up my TR workout setup this year, and on a budget!

Thanks, I know this is ancient tech comparatively. I should mention I will be using my Cinch Power meter so now worried on data.

Interesting, can you expand on that?

There is a definitive lag in resistance between big changes in wattage. During a rest interval moving into anything more than endurance interval it feels like pedaling through mud for the first 30 seconds - min.

I’m not sure my set up is as dialed as it could be though: I’m using a very old rear tire. I may try a trainer specific tire to see if that helps. It feels like the resistance just isn’t consistent on anything over say endurance work

I have Kreitler rollers with a headwind unit and a kickr. I still use the rollers (not nearly as much now that I picked up the inside ride to go with the kickr). But until a few weeks ago, I’d still primarily use the rollers. I greatly prefer the bike moving underneath me and no issues in hitting target power ranges. The only area where it will lack is standing sprints and low cadence work at high power (e.g. 40-50 rpm at sub-threshold).

The rollers also seem to be easier on the tires and the bike. The only downside is the fan is pretty loud but nothing crazy.

2 Likes

Thanks, I still may go this route!

I’ve been considering going this route, too, although I need to pick up a headwind fan.
Really need the additional mental engagement of rollers to stay interested riding inside.

1 Like

when the headwind unit is attached, do you find the bike pulling towards the fan??

not at all

thanks. kreitler said i may need new bearings. no pulling when the fan is not attached.

I have 2 sets of kreitlers, both 2.25 (smallest) drums, I set up one with a headfan unit for more resistance.
Pros: they last forever (I’ve had one for over 20 years now). Easy to fold up (if no fan unit; that does add some bulk). Nice smooth feel. The fan is nice and different settings give you different resistances.
Cons: you definitely need to stay mentally engaged or you will topple over. Although a nice feel, I definitely do not think they are a road feel (my InsideRide rollers are way superior that way). With the small rollers, it is hard to do low energy workouts, but a larger drum and the fan would be a lot more versatile.

Personally, I pretty much use them as travel/warmup rollers and I ride the InsideRide ones if I want to just be on rollers and watch TV or whatever. Although I mainly use my smart trainer, I have noticed that the smart trainer makes me quite lazy in terms of form.
You can also get a fork stand that will allow you to do more varied workouts (standing, one leg, etc) although that adds some $ of course…

2 Likes