Kolie Moore's FTP test protocol

I cannot get this to work with my wahoo, I can export the workout as eg .fit but when I open it with the elemnt app I get a bad gpc tcx error

I couldn’t, I ended up building one in TP

2 Likes

Maybe some will find this interesting

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3NiuZttMId/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Did you do ftp detection before or after the tests?

Interesting that you still went with 310, rather then 304 from your longer FTP test, considering that is probably the most accurate one?

Yep, Kolie would no doubt say 300 (which is 10% less than 329!)

1 Like

@ArHu74

BlockquoteDid you do ftp detection before or after the tests?

I did the FTP detection before completing the first test, which was the ramp test.

@Derailleur > Blockquote Interesting that you still went with 310, rather then 304 from your longer FTP test, considering that is probably the most accurate one?
and
@alexgold123

Blockquote Yep, Kolie would no doubt say 300 (which is 10% less than 329!)

I generally agree with you, but I’ve done so many FTP tests in my life, including Kolie’s tests, that I “feel” where the FTP should be, if I use his words. The last test was done ad hoc and with some fatigue in the legs, which skewed the results a bit. I think the current number is right, but I’ll adapt it if needed.
Posted this just in case someone might find it interesting though.

4 Likes

based on the 1w loss of avg power between 30 and 40min id lean towards agreeing with you.
Do you have wko? Would be curious what the model spits out.
If not I’d love to plug your 3 test files in myself

I don’t have WKO, sorry. What do you mean plug files in yourself?

If you want to send me your fit files from your tests, I can put them in my wko5 and show you the Power duration curve graph

If you have Strava premium you can see an ftp estimate, similar to WKO. Same comment if you have Intervals. I vastly prefer WKO, but there are other options.

Oh, I see. Sure I can, if you give me your email or something I’ll send them to you (tried to message on TrainerRoad, but FIT files aren’t supported.

@KlemenSj

For the unaware, the model has a teeter totter effect. Higher sprint skews lower ftp and tte vice versa

So here it is again with one of my own sprint files added

37min is where its modeling 310. So I think you have a great RPE gauge of your ftp. good job
Kolie says the model in wko5 (wko4) skews heavily towards a 20min test and rates mftp higher than he likes. so the model says 326 w/ 31min TTE

*big caveat would be how much your actual 20s and 60s/120s best efforts might change this.

1 Like

That’s interesting, thank you!
I’m also glad to see my RPE is well calibrated :smiley:

Finished 4 weeks of base so did another test yesterday since I was pushing workouts to harder/longer and was feeling the renewb gainz still coming on strong. AIFTPD put me at 279 yesterday as well. Like the previous test I accepted to reset the current target to do the test. I did the longer ramp this time but basically made it to the same 40min TTE. Saturday recovery ride was replaced with carrying toddler around DC so I went into this a little beat up. Last time was full mental bail, this time was part mental part leg fatigue, nothing seems to be pushing my HR lately. I did go in a little hot, just liked the cadence and went with it, probably would have added a few min to TTE in favor of a few watts had I backed off, but happy with it.

Recent history:
Feb 25, 2024 286 KMP (~40min TTE)
Feb 25, 2024 279 AI
Jan 28, 2024 265 KMP (~40min TTE)
Jan 27, 2024 257 AI
Dec 30, 2023 247 AI
Dec 4, 2023 236 Ramp (basically tested to confirm AIFTP)
Nov 26 2023 235 AI

intervals said 283 for 38 min
TP updated FTP to 290, no prompts just went to manually adjusted and noticed it had change to 290
Settled on the 286 it worked out to for the 40 min.

After second test yesterday I’m sold, won’t do it again in 4 weeks, finish out this next build phase before testing again.

7 Likes

Amazing progress :muscle:

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve been in this range before 305? peak a while back. Trying to be smarter/not burn out like I have previously pretty sure I’ll end up past 305 this time but going to have to be more careful with fatigue as I work runs and swimming back in.

1 Like

@mcneese.chad . Sorry if I missed it above but did you do the test and if so, how did it go?

I did attempt it and blew up. Long story but I did this as a “change-up” because I was hitting some odd training results in that timeframe. The bail on the test along with the workouts around it indicated I needed to reset (again). Personal doubts, shifting goals and lagging motivation to name some of my issues.

Just starting official “training plan” this week so not sure when I will re-try this test, but I hope to once I have some confidence in my training state again. Sorry to not have more useful info.

9 Likes

Think of it less as ‘blew up’ and more of gained a data point that my ftp is bit lower than estimated, no big deal. I love this test (managed 284w for 35mins) for several reasons:

• solid evidence of what you CAN do, not think can do
  • is just a real good FTP workout, not easy but equally not dead for days
  • realistic FTP for longer ftp intervals…seriously I see people saying struggle with 8min intervals…that is not your FTP!!!
13 Likes