Kolie Moore's FTP test protocol

Looks like I’m getting good at guesstimating my FTP.

35min @ 290w. :cry:
Evidence that a month of anaerobic-only training is FTP detrimental.
I might have been able to struggle to 40min but why? It’s base season!

Time: down 22min (39%) from season high.
Watts: down 8% from season high but up 32% from season start.
I’d be happy with another 30% gain in 2021. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Pretty substantial and quite surprising (to me) decrease of TTE. Another round of staying at home is upon us so 30% gains are possible…

The decline was almost all muscular. Cardio was fine but legs couldn’t take it.
My peak TTE/FTP came after my POL block so I had been doing a lot of riding.
This TTE/FTP comes after a month of doing FRC-only training, so maybe a TOTAL of 45min of work!

It’s kinda weird how you can just feel it slipping away…

Looking forward to getting back into the fray.

fray1

2 Likes

Very interesting - thanks for posting.

Not surprised, I destroyed my FTP with TR’s short power build plan last year.

I do wonder though if in your test, you actually were above FTP. I find the 10W increase without TTE increase interesting. I have a feeling that a high FRC would allow you to make it to 35min above FTP.

1 Like

Ah, now I see…there’s some confusion!

The “35min @ 280w“ was my guess at what the results of this test would be. The actual result was 35min @ 290w.

Both TTE and power declined from pre-FRC FTP.

I think I’m much better equipped physically and intellectually to raise all boats this season than when I joined TR in 2018. Fun times await!

I’m going to hijack this thread for one post, but don’t feel bad because my name is on it.

We’re gonna do an AMA episode on the podcast to celebrate 100k listens. Head over to reddit if you want to ask something, we are not taking questions here.

14 Likes

Hah, you even said the 280 was a guess…it was very late in ny excuse. :joy:

Did the progression 1 version for the first time today, after doing a TR ramp test last week. While the results are pretty much in line, I do find the Moore test to be more ‘enjoyable’. Afterwards, you’re also done for the day, no need to tag on another (shortish) workout.

That said, is this test just another way to avoid the feeling of VO2MAX powerlevels…

Downsides to this kind of testing:

1. conscious pacing versus simply pedalling until you fail
  2. estimating a target ftp versus making it past minute 19:30 in the ramp test

I’m especially a bit uncertain about point 2. If on a next test I make it way beyond my TTE, I have then improved my TTE but potentially also underestimated my FTP. If I bump up the intensity and don’t make it to my previous TTE I’ve done my pacing wrong/overestimated my FTP. This to me brings more uncertainty than simply trying to make it past the 19:30 mark in the ramp test, to see a (potentially substantial) increase in FTP.

On the other hand, looking at a comparison of power curves, the Moore test allows me to gauge power levels and TTE I normally only get to see/experience on really hard group rides.

Thinking about this I might go with the following approach: Do ramp test as prescribed by TR, replace next workout with Moore test to get a feel for TTE at the newly set FTP.

1 Like

I’m not a complete zealot to all things KM, although his FTP assessments do work better for me. I can’t agree with your above comment - reaching 19:30 on the ramp test is also the definition of a target to increase FTP. There’s a whole thread on “what’s your motivational 19 minute song”… etc etc.

Also I know FTP and VO2 max are inextricably linked, but why would you need to ride at VO2 max levels to establish FTP/MLSS?

2 Likes

sure, but my point is that one does not have to choose 19:30 as the target, that’s just inherent to the TR ramp test. In contrast, for the Moore test, you need to have a pretty good guesstimate of what your FTP is/might be before you start the test and then perhaps fine-tune a bit while you’re going. This requires a bit of experience and even then causes a bit of anxiety (at least in my case). That said if your initial FTP setting in TR is off then the 19:30 mark is meaningless too…

1 Like

The point is that you can not reliably determine FTP from VO2Max work. You might get the same results from both, but many people do not. People with strong anaerobic contribution get too high FTP from the ramp test and as a result, keep on improving their anaerobic system by doing all SS work over threshold level. Then the next ramp test gives even more inflated “FTP” as you’ve only worked on your anaerobic system and you will simply fail all your SS sessions.

This has kind of been beaten to death in this thread. One thing a few are overlooking is when coach Moore says he uses data from WKO5 to determine estimates and then validates the test in WKO5. The TR workout version takes an average, which is fine (I’ve used it myself), but not exactly the intent. A coach will look at test data and determine validity of that test and the estimate it produced. The rider him/herself may not know their FTP, but their data will reveal a good starting point.

WRT how that compares to the ramp test, it should be obvious: a ramp test can work for someone with zero baseline and no data. A coach without any data or history to go off of might use a ramp test to get a ballpark number to use. Others might use an 8-min test. Still others might use a “go blow yourself up” ride and interpret data from that, train for a few weeks, then test to validate that estimate. Lots of ways to skin the cat.

All of these methods - properly executed - will get you a number to train from, and all probably within a decent tolerance of your physiological capability. The difference IME with this test is you can get a good idea of your TTE at FTP, learn what FTP feels like (which is important) and gain more insight into your actual capabilities beyond just a number to train from. The question is: is that something you want or need?

7 Likes

I think you might change your opinion if you listen to Coach Chad in podcast 189 starting around 29:30 or read how Ric Stern “discovered” using the ramp test as a rough FTP estimate over 25 years ago. Run the numbers.

My second attempt at this today. Same TTE, 2W less. Hrm. Might take up darts instead.

My point was that in the absence of data from rides or tests previously executed, a ramp test can give you an FTP-based training baseline, and may be particularly usefulfor new athletes or those unfamiliar with pacing longer tests. My point was NOT that a ramp test consistently gives you a good estimate of FTP.

Put more succinctly, a ramp test is better than a guess. 75% of MAP is a decent ballpark estimate. A smart coach might dial that back to 72% in the absence of other data, and then seek to determine/validate FTP several weeks later with a longer test.

3 Likes

agreed, the ramp test is a simple and quick way to get in the ballpark of threshold. And then use that to do a better test of your threshold. For a new rider I’m also with you on starting conservatively (72%) and taking it from there (exactly what that means is “it depends”).

2 Likes

Here’s a quick snapshot of how to validate a test in wko5. Here’s two power curves for the same person. In both cases the cursor is at 350w.

Here’s after some work:

In both cases, the cursor is at 355w. In the first one, not FTP because it’s not the inflection point. In the second one, FTP. TTE went down but that was expected. Ignore the red bit in the first one, it’s wonky from the test values. And if you’re wondering, yes, just about everyone has 5min power as their best strength.

4 Likes

I wish TR to become that smart coach… From a standpoint from newb, method like ramp test is good ballpark estimation. But also a standpoint from newb, 75% is likely be high value which makes every sweetspot intervals into threshold intervals and over-unders into murderer.

2 Likes

just about everyone has 5min power as their best strength.

Great.
Guess I have to train my 5:15min power if I want to win solo! :rofl:

4 Likes