Knee pain after Carson +4

Hi

Managed to put a little run of consistency and was coming to the end of SSBMV when I perhaps got a bit over zealous

I decided I was gonna hit Carson +4, completes the session and really enjoyed it, but the day after my knees were in bits. Especially my right one.

I’d describe the pain as being a kind of pull across the front of my kneecap. That was on the 11th Feb, I’ve rested up and tried to do a few light sessions recently but it’s flared up again. Not as bad though. During my rest it was hurting even when I was lying in bed with my legs bent

It’s massively frustrating to lose 3 weeks at this point of the winter when I should be ramping up for spring

Has anyone had any similar issues? How did you carry on training? How did you recover?

Sorry to hear it. It is massively frustrating. Knee pain can be very complicated and not about your knee at all. I sympathize as I have had a knee issue from 3 years ago pop back up just this week. Both times I was at FTP highs (for the time) in the middle of some intense (for me) training. I thought I learned from last time (which required a month of PT, dry needling, and reduced training to ride by A race that year), and have been doing proactive off-bike work. I am 6 weeks from my A race this year and same thing.

I would suggest trying PT, especially if you have a good one. It could take some time to find otherwise. There is also Jonathan’s knee pain journey post, if you want to DIY.

Thanks LLmonty, yes, I’m going to visit the Physio and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

Usually this is a tracking issue from the quads - either your VMO isn’t firing properly and not supporting your medial knee. Or more commonly the lateral vastus lateralis has become tight pulling the knee cap out. The latter can be fixed with lots of foam rolling/massage of that lateral quad muscle to loosen it up - there are loads of trigger points about 3 inches above the knee in that muscle. VMO problems are more difficult to fix as the muscle only fires for a small part of the knee movement range.

2 Likes