KickrV5 - drift in ERG-mode?

Yep - think it only needs 2-3 seconds.

Easiest way to visually check is temporarily turn off power match and do an ERG workout. It’s quite satisfying to see the power recorded from the power meter converge on the target power after such a short calibration.

I only find i need to do this once - not multiple times during a workout.

And our great AI overlord doesn’t care about coasting during recovery valleys :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t wait for my next workout to test it out. Thanks mate. If you see it well with Power Match that it works and that you can trust it then it is not as big off a issue. In the Summer i actually don’t like to Swap Pedals all the time around to be honest.

One tag is enough to summon me.

2 Likes

i thought it was 3… like betelgeuse

2 Likes

:yellow_heart: Thanks mate, Since you are here thanks a lot for your content :slight_smile:

1 Like

I connected my pm (4iiii) directly to my Kickr V5, via the wahoo app. No need for powermatch or calibration.

Ant + hasn’t been always stable on both the 4iiii and Wahoo side, but with the latest firmware installed on both. I haven’t had a singel dropout.

That said, the V5 proved to be a stable and reliable source for power on it own for me, compared to my powermeter. No big discrepancies between them.

I just use the powermeter in conjunction, so that my outside and inside workouts match.

I have my v5 for about 10 months now. The bugs I had in the beginning have all been solved.

I am a big rider with big numbers, but not a very high w/kg . 95 kg 312 watt ftp , 3,3 w/kg
But can pull a lot of torque. For me the Kickr V5 performs as it should. But maybe when riding lower power things might fluctuate a little more.

In the wahoo app, there is a erg smoothing setting, but I’m not sure that will solve fluctuations.

I’d always advise using TRs power match rather than linking power meter to the kickr - it’s far easier to track what is linked to what and have full confidence where exactly the power reported is coming from. Each to their own I guess. The only feature I dislike more is …

Arhhh - fake flat power lines are the devil :smiling_imp:

1 Like

If you are using powermatch to run the kickr in TR then I wouldn’t worry at all. My HR stays consistent on intervals when I do this, even when zwift is showing the kickr is off (low) by as much as 4-5%.

I’ll see it recalibrate at times even when I don’t don’t a full spin down and just go into a rest interval.

I’ve noticed it seems to be off immediately if I stand for a bit.

@Ridill how do you know that it is not a problem in zwift without Erg on? I’m not sure how you track that.

When i just use it on Zwift i did run the Powerpedales to my Wahoo and the Kickr to Zwift. and i made sure i costed on the Downhill parts in Zwift. Then i did compare the Files in Sections in Training Peaks. And the small error they did have did stay the same over different parts of the File.

Thats why i think it is only ERG Mode related but if you do a ERG Workout in Zwift you would probably see the same Problem. Since without giving the trainer a chance to spin down for a moment without any pedaling the Auto Calibration will never run and so it is off because it can not compensate for the Temperature difference i would guess.
The evil thing is that probably many will fail a long Threshold workout because of that 10-12W you need to do extra at the end or the middle of a workout when it gets more difficult anyway is a lot for me :slight_smile: well just knowing that on a 3x 20min Threshold workout you can be off by that is mentally not good for me.

So from now on i will coast during the recovery part of my workouts for a moment. If this is working and you are aware of that issue this is a good fix.

That would actually make a good Headline for a possible GPLama Video. “A possible Reason why you fail your Threshold workouts with the Kickr V5” :joy:. Clearly only if the problem get verified and presents itself the way i suspect. A lot of this is guessing from my side and would need verification.

People without a second Powermeter will not know about that Problem and will wonder why they fail the second part of a ERG Mode Workout.

What version is the firmware on your Kickr?

I have a new(ish) Kickr V5 (black friday purchase) that seems to not have this problem. Mine is on firmware 4.2.5.

I did a 4x8 workout a week or so ago and the Kickr got 287,286,287,286 average for the intervals, while my quarq recorded 290,289,289,290. I did not coast the entire workout.

Interesting, you did use ERG Mode aswel? I will check what Firmware i have. And maybe do some other Tests respectively see if i can find the Test files i once made to show.

Yep, erg mode, TR workout.

My Test was a while ago. Maybe the difference has to do with Powermatch? I think i recorded one to the Wahoo with my Powerpedales. And the Kicker did the TR Workout so the Pedals where not connected to TR.

i would be more than happy if this would be not a problem. :slight_smile:

Did you use powermatch?

Nope.

I get your point about the straight (power) lines (I have a sort of allergy for them) and preference for powermatch, but I don’t know if erg- smoothing is just about the lines, or if that also smoothes up the trainer response. And time in zone is still time in zone.

As far as my experience goes with the wahoo power link and tr’s powermatch, the wahoo power link hasn’t failed me once since I’ve set it up, powermatch keeps fighting and made my Kickr drift in erg. Which is the topic here.

I use an Apple TV for Zwift and an iPhone for TR.
Since I have limited BLe channels on my Apple TV this is how I roll. I did the powermatch with my laptop and an ant+ dongle, but the setup I use now is bulletproof. The ant+ with powermatch was far from ok.

So here is the Test I did sorry that I can not compare it any better. One Recording was with the Kickr V5 connected to TR, and the other where my Assioma to the Wahoo Roam. So they did not know of each other.
You can see that at the start they are the same. Then a little Error starts to rise by about 4 Watts. Then in the second interval after 3 min I Shifted to the Big ring and the Error did increase to 9 Watts. Then I did coast just a moment and the calibration did not work the Error got a bit Bigger 12 Watts. After a longer coast around 10sec. the calibration did seem to work and both did show AVG Power 230 /231Watts.

I don’t know Probably the Drive train losses from Small to Big ring are the Problem? And if I shift in the Big ring I need a calibration I guess? But Still, there seems to be a drift and I would guess a faster Flywheel speed and therefore more Heat would make the problem worse. I guess I would need more testing. But anyway coasting during Recovery sections, and after a Big ring shift up seems to be the solution.

1 Like

How do you set up power link? Is it once and done, or you do it before every session?

It is setup once via the wahoo app, there is an ant+ link. After that I just zero offset my pm before every workout.

(Pardon my Dutch😉)