Is there a benefit to a direct drive trainer versus kicker snap if using the bike's power meter?

I don’t necessarily have any problems with this setup other than it creaks a little out of the saddle, but it seems fine, am I missing out on anything?

Direct drive trainers eliminate tire slip and tire wear as issues. Direct drive trainers generally have heavier fly wheels which generally means better road like feel.

A Direct drive trainer also does not have issues with variations in tire pressure and/or tension leading to inconstancies but using a power meter on the bike can go a long way to addressing that issue.

1 Like

Thoughts in existing topics:

Noice was the main reason I went to a DD (at the time a Muin). Tyre wear was another.

Direct drive is like a luxury experience compared to wheel-on. I really like the lower noise levels. If you do a lot of trainer time with a wheel-on trainer then you are going to need a trainer tire or an extra rear wheel. Mounting your bike on a direct drive trainer ends up being easier.

Yeah I already have a separate tire and wheel, only slight bummer is I can’t use my new bike with the thru axle. Was looking at direct drive options where I can use any bike.

I have a kickr snap - there is a bit of tyre wear, but not much, there may be more noise, but I listen to music. I don’t get any tyre slippage. Is a direct drive better? Probably. However, my snap works brilliantly and as some have said, if you get a good one they are great. Could I get a Core? yes - is it worth forking out for in the current economic climate? er no! :grin: