Indoor Vs Outdoor FTP

• What you call knee-jerk I consider a practical starting point. In troubleshooting (which most of these “Why is my power inside so much lower than outside?” questions really are in essence…) you have to start somewhere. Most of the time we get a simple statement with little or no supplemental info from the poster about their setup.

• Just like when someone calls tech support about their PC not working, a starting question of “Is it plugged in?” is necessary unless the caller already gave us that info. The fan question is that starting point in my process for helping unless someone clearly covers it from the start. It’s about covering the many variables in total, but I start with that since it is common that people have insufficient cooling and it is reasonably considered one of the largest factors of those to consider.

• So starting there makes sense and anyone with depth of knowledge will move beyond that once it is ruled out or addressed.

• I have published a video of my use with a saddle pressure mapper showing rigid and multiple levels of stiffness in a rocker. That is the only public info I have seen about motion and saddle pressure. I have heard from more than one maker about their internal testing the correlates with my testing results.
  • Sure, you can take that absence as a negative but per above, I have heard that others see the benefits in data. I have no idea why they have not published it, but I don’t take the absence as something hinting that these don’t work.

• And regardless of any testing I or others have done, the proof is in the pudding… when we see countless comments from many that implemented motion and found comfort there vs rigid. Not everyone gets that, but I’d wager the adopters are over 50% of those that give it a shot.

• Sure, there are two possible goals here and they are not necessarily linked. Comfort can happen even with “backwards timing” as seen in many rocker plate videos. But when you get proper timing and use like I and others have, I believe that is a “better” solution than rigid. There is NOTHING natural or realistic about locking a bike in a vertical plane.

• I’d love it if some university or other group would take on the topic of motion vs rigid indoor cycling from comfort and power production standpoints. It’s of keen interest to me but I sure don’t have the time or tools to make that happen.

Off the top of my head, here is a quick list of some of the variables that I cover in these questions:

• Cooling
  • Bike Fit Setup (same or different)
  • Power Data Measurements Devices (same or different)
  • Trainer Flywheel vs Typical Outside Riding Speed / Inertia
  • Motivation via App and/or Distraction
  • Rigid vs Motion
  • Fueling & Hydration