Increasing peak 5-min power

I want to spend some time working on increasing my peak 5-min power.

Is doing classic 5-min VO2 max intervals (i.e. 4x5 min @ 115-120% FTP) a suitable workout to do to increase peak 5-min power or is there something more effective.

I know that workouts for increasing peak power are different than those for increasing repeatability. The latter generally involve shorter intervals with a 1:1 or 1:0.5 ratio for work and rest whereas peak power workouts involve significantly more rest and fewer intervalsā€”striving for complete recovery between them.

My 5-min power taken from my last ramp test was 417w @ 82kg. As an experiment Iā€™d like to increase this, but have never worked on this aspect.

1 Like

Check out the progressions in Sustained Power Build High Volume plan. Tuesdays are generally VO2. Thursdays start with longer VO2 at 105-108% and progress to longer Threshold. Saturdays start with over/u sets and progress to longer Threshold. Sundays are long SweetSpot.

Thanks, but Iā€™m not looking for a plan, but more specific workouts that target increasing 5-min power.

Iā€™ve done a bit of internet searching and most training articles related to 5-min power focus on classic VO2 max workouts. Iā€™m curious if this prescription is effective in increasing power at 5 min or if thereā€™s a more effective workout.

Based on your ramp test result, I estimate you could go 430-450 W for 5 minutes.

Pick a target power in that range, on the higher end if you feel like you over-test on ramp tests, and see how long you can hold it. Give it a go and report back. Otherwise, youā€™ll have no idea whether the specific training you plan on doing was actually productive.

Weird. We must share DNA or something! I have 1min and 5min power specificity training kinda sorta planned for the end of the month.

I recall reading doing 3min intervals to increase 5min power. Iā€™ll try to find the source.

Will return to read what everyone else has to say on the matter.

To increase five-minute power, I would think you need to do workouts with intervals in the 5-10 minute range, which is low VO2 at the five-minute end (105-108%) and threshold toward the ten-minute end (100-105%).

Again, to train it, youā€™ll need a progression to keep forcing adaptations, and I think the workouts in the SPB-HV plan can a good set of examples to consider, even if not following the plan.

2 Likes

Training Peaks:

5 MINUTE POWER WORKOUT:
2 sets of 3 x 3 minutes on, 3 minutes off.
Rest for 6 minutes between sets.

You could also pick your target from the classic Coggan chart and work toward that.

Supposedly I should have ā€œVery Goodā€ 5min power, but I havenā€™t done any all-out 5min efforts in forever soā€¦probably not!

1 Like

Increase your peak 5 min power, or increase repeatable 5 min power? How many times do you need to repeat it?

Answering those two questions will tell you if you need a more anaerobic focus or more aerobic. The 1x effort has a huge anaerobic contribution, the more times you repeat it, the more aerobic it becomes.

3 Likes

In my case, the biggest gains to 5 min power were the combination of VO2 max block and threshold workouts. But it was only growing organically by doing only the threshold block. Nothing fancy to be honest - I have never targeted peak power of 5 min as a separate goal but it was growing naturally (currently sitting at 5.65 w/kg so according to WKO - excellent).

According to the chart in WKO 5 min power is 86% aerobic so I do not know if the 14% is such a huge contribution. It is big but doing more aerobic stuff will contribute more.

1 Like

Try this one, roughly based on a Gordon Wright intervals session.

Start with 6-10 full gas 1min intervals, with full recovery (5 minutes) between each. Ride easy for 10-15 minutes, then do 4x5min full gas.

The power in the 4x5min will be lower than normal because the 1min intervals deplete your anaerobic tank. But this does mean theyā€™ll focus on pushing your aerobic system to its limits.

Then when you approach a single 5 minute interval fresh, youā€™ll not only have trained your anaerobic contribution, but trained your ability to ride hard when that anaerobic contribution runs out.

5 Likes

Great tip, will give this a go. Sounds savage!

Isnā€™t a 5 minute effort something like 85-90% aerobic?

1 Like

While I think that number is right, I didnā€™t know WKO5 could estimate it. What chart do you mean?

My biggest increases to 5 minute power have come from maintaining a high cadence. I would not neglect that aspect. Itā€™s hard to keep a high cadence for 5 minutes. I started at 3 and built up because it would tend to drop off after about 3 minutes. Iā€™d guess I added 7% just by not dropping off cadence at the end. Shorter intervals you can brute force through even if cadence drops off and over longer intervals it doesnā€™t matter so much.

2 Likes

Aerobic and anaerobic contribution to power (available in basic and advanced view by default as far as I remember):
https://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031772312-Why-Did-my-Power-Duration-Curve-or-Power-Duration-Metrics-Change-In-WKO5-

Yeah, once again TP puts out incorrect information about their very own metrics. :roll_eyes: Iā€™ve seen Coggan emphasize again and again that FRC is not purely anaerobic. To calculate the latter, youā€™d have to base things off of VO2max, not FTP.

1 Like

I did a specific 5 minute effort about a month back where I beat my old 5 min PR of 396w from January by 30w. My previous best was also from the ramp test - my FTP had come up about 30w too since the ramp test, but my short power was definitely lacking.

I did a 3 week block of 2 x VO2 and 1 x very high IF anaerobic workout. For me it felt like a case of getting used to the pain again. I knew when I was knocking out 9 x 3.5 min and then 8 x 4 mins at 393w 8 times that a 5 minute PR was inevitable. I used an interval in ERG mode to test it, which probably restricted me by a few watts, but we always feel that we couldā€™ve done more once itā€™s overā€¦ I managed to do this after a ramp test, where I bailed after about 18 mins (wasnā€™t feeling it, and wanted to keep some powder dry).

FWIW I always ride the trainer at high cadences, especially high end intervals. For VO2, I aim to not drop below 110 rpm. It really helped me stay on track with the longer intervals.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s a reddit that might translate to applicable training:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Velo/comments/66ln4m/how_to_increase_1_minute_power/

You wonā€™t increase your 1 minute power by working in 1 minute intervals. You need to do something just above that power level in order to build itā€¦ You need to work on raising the ceiling versus getting more efficient under the ceiling.

1 Like

Weā€™re on a seemingly similar plan. I have nothing to target this season on than some local Strava segments and most of them fall in that 1-5-min range; so I thought it would be a fun duration to work on. I also think that having really good 3-5 min power can be very effective in winning local races.

Iā€™m more interested in working on breakaway power, or what I consider peak 5-min power. The efforts you see in either establishing a breakaway or a race-winning attack. My thought was that I should do 5-min intervals as I would in a classic VO2 max workout, but have more rest in between them in order to fully recover. So something like 4x5 min @ full gas with 10 min rest between intervals.

This sounds awesome. I never would have thought to lead the workout with a series of 1-min full gas intervals and then wrap it up with 5-minuters. Thank you.

I came off a Polarized block that had me doing 2 VO2 max workouts weekly, one of them being long-duration intervals. I started at 4-5min. I think these really helped, but Iā€™m scratching my head wondering if 5-min of rest between intervals is enough to fully recharge in order to hit the subsequent interval fully rested. Iā€™m not sure it is, hence my original question. Thinking that doubling the rest interval might help set up the next for a truly full-gas effort. Less about repeatability, more about eeking out the max amount of power possible over 5-min. Hopefully with no power degradation from the first to the last interval.

Makes sense. Like in FTP intervals, weā€™re going slightly below the duration weā€™re targeting, but weā€™re hitting higher power in order to drive up maximal power at that duration.

For me, being able to do fairly high power repeats at 115-118% for a slightly lower duration (Mist +1 & +3) which would be very hard to do as 5 min repeats seemed to build my 5 minute power. When youā€™re knocking out say 30 mins of higher power work in a session, then you know youā€™ll easily be able to knock out 1 x 5 mins at 125%+. I think this is the same point @Captain_Doughnutman is making

IMO some anaerobic sessions would be valuable for all out efforts in addition to VO2 workouts, especially for your sub-goal of establishing breakaways. Again my workouts were repeats (Coldblow +2, San Joaquin +7 etc), but ā€˜Stripedā€™ and its variants look better for building capacity.

Of course I do think specificity would work for you. I hit 10.19 w/kg 1 minute power last year just by chasing a LOT of short duration KOMs. Iā€™d probably leave at 5 mins between this type of short effort. For a 5 minute maximal effort, Iā€™d probably leave 10 minutes between intervals even though itā€™ll probably get boringā€¦

This is all anecdotal so prepare your grains of salt!

1 Like