HRT in female athletes

Putting this one up, after listening to a TR Podcast where HRT was mentioned. Nate et al questioned whether it was legal in athletes (WADA rules) for racing. Apparently not for men, ha ha unless they took oestrogen!!! But for women it is fine. It does not enhance performance. It helps control the most unpleasant symptoms of the menopause, hot flushes, insomnia, anxiety, aggression, depression , mood swings, lack of motivation etc. You could argue it enhances performance but to me it is just making me feel normal and not sick!

2 Likes

I’m 49 and in peri-menopause and am considering HRT. My symptoms at this point aren’t overwhelming, so there is no rush for me to make a huge change right now, but I am not looking forward to the loss of muscle and bone mass that is associated with declining estrogen. I dunno…is it unfair to try to mitigate hormonal based muscle and bone loss through HRT?

I have read a great deal about upping protein intake and increasing resistance training, and I am doing those things. The good news is that apparently, as fit women, we suffer fewer symptoms in general because of our fitness.

2 Likes

I take HRT, a low dose one.It has no side effects, and the benefits I get from it are better sleep, no hot flushes, and i think it helps with anxiety, and lack of motivation/confidence.
From the age of about 55, when I started the menopause, I noticed loss of muscle mass.
I think it’s just something we have to live with. But I too do weight training which helps maintain my strength ,but to increase muscle mass for a 65 year old woman? I don’t think so.
In your case, being a lot younger, I would wait till you feel you need to take HRT , if your symptoms become worse. Speak with your GP about it first. No, I think it is not unfair in any way. HRT for women is not banned by the UCI. It is not a performance enhancing drug. Whereas testosterone for men is banned. Which seems a bit unfair ,as very low testosterone levels can be detrimental to health, and I would have thought it would be possible to supplement this up to a level that falls below the UCI limit, with a GP’s letter confirming that the man has a medical condition and needs the supplement.
Good luck and keep up what you’re doing. You’ve got many years of fitness to enjoy

2 Likes