HR through the roof after week off

Had rest week last week which consisted of 4 days fully off and 3 easy workouts. 1st day back and felt very sluggish, 2nd day 4 x 8 min threshold intervals but a little short of usual power and a higher than usual HR so hopefully will work myself into this new block. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 workouts to get back at it which is a bit annoying to be honest.

1 Like

I’d argue that’s a huge jump. 170 to 180 for z2 is way too high after only a week off. HR is very variable tho so if you slept bad it would elevate it however not that much, did you consider that you might overtrained? Do you usually do such high volume weeks, how did you feel at the end of your last work week?

Interesting read.
Could this decrease in bloodplasma result in low bloodpressure symptoms, like dizyness?

Don’t think I’m overtrained, feeling pretty well actually. Might’ve been all the factors combined though, yeah. I did another Z2 workout the same day of my post but in the afternoon (I quit the morning one after 30 min) and it’s already lower to 150-160.

@martijn592 Z2 power and you are +40BPM above your normal Z2 HR is not remotely normal.

To answer your question if you should take more time off…it’s actually the opposite given what you describe. That is, if after a rest period you experience a higher than normal RPE combined with a hard time elevating HR into Z2-3 then that would be the time for more rest. You’re describing the opposite. But, yeah +40 BPM is so far from normal Id get checked out. Normally I wouldn’t say that but, that’s scary.

Before you do that I wonder if your HR monitor is bad? Did you check your HR monitor against using a stopwatch and feeling your pulse?