How to survive long sweet spot intervals?

The bottom line is that if you can barely ride 3 mins at SS, it’s not your SS. If you can barely ride 30min at SS, it’s not your SS.
OP needs to get an appropriate ftp test.

Any of the methods would not over-estimate to such a degree that you would struggle at SS (ramp, 2x8min, 20min, etc)

2 Likes

I did ramp test because test is important part of TR plans

agree with @anon86199957 - that looks pretty good. Hard to tell, but looks like the higher end of SS - perhaps take it down a little?

So you are talking about 30 minutes or so of optimal power. There are lots of TT plans you can look at. I also did a version of Chicoma which was great. Lower end of SS, some sprint spikes, limited rest. Look in the workout catalog for SS – lots of good profiles - and lots of good plans.

2 Likes

First block of TT plans looking the same as my current

I would start by dropping your FTP a bit to maybe 150 or 145. Then if you still can’t complete a workout like you linked above then I would start with shorter blocks. Don’t try 2x15 min blocks but rather find a workout that has 5-3x6-10 min blocks so that you can get that mental and physical reset. Maybe a workout like Ericson or Monitor. Then slowly build up from 6 min to 10 min to 15min, etc etc.

But physically you should be able to hold SS for an hour with some discomfort and pushing through some mental barriers but it should be achievable. If that’s not the case then you’re FTP is too high and you need to build up to longer intervals from shorter.

1 Like

For clarity, despite TR pushing the Ramp, it is suitable to use any of the common FTP test protocols to set your FTP for training.

The reason these mater is that the Ramp test can sometimes give incorrect FTP values for some riders. It can make workouts harder (just like you describe) because it may have yielded an FTP that is not appropriate for you. Those other tests may well be “better” for you in the sense that they might give you a more accurate FTP that applies to the TR workouts.

3 Likes

SS training is not my thing too, but for the sake of plurality and to reply directly to the OP, I still believe that in 2000+ post replies the OP will find his answers.

1 Like

Thanks, I think I will try to drop a bit my ftp

2 Likes

But Actually today I did truchas and was able to sustain 90-92% ftp for 17 minutes, might be all this is not so bad?

How did you feel upon completion of that effort and workout?

Are you consistent in your nutrition, recovery, training setup and such?

• Trying to make sure you are well prepared, and training with a consistent setup from day to day is quite important.
  • Based on the info you just shared, I think it might be important to try and find any underlying reason you did that vs the struggle in your original post.

I felt normal after workout, no struggling, a little soreness in legs for 1-2 hours

OK, that’s interesting.

How about my second question?

second part is ok too, but sometimes my kickr goes power up like for 160-170 for no reason or while my cadence dropped to 85 because I try to sustain 90 or more

Depending on the specific Kickr model (anything other than the current 2020 V5), are you calibrating it? If so, how often?

1 Like

Calibrated once last week ago, yeah, kickr 2020 v5

1 Like

Which basic plan? Did you use the plan builder?

They vary - Low, Medium and High volume.
They can also be focused on certain events - Gran Fondo, Rolling Road Race, off-road, etc?

2 Likes

yes I did, I had selected triathlon sprint if Im not mistaken for low volume 2-3 workouts per week

1 Like

The problem is that with properly set FTP, even if you are completely new to riding a bike (not even training) doing something like a couple of 15min@90% should be doable without any problem. I would think that your ramp test is way off due to the huge anaerobic contribution to your result, hence overinflated FTP. People have a natural predisposition to be fast-twitchers, as slow-twich muscles require some training.

1. How does your normal week look like? Do you follow only TR plan or do you ride a lot and smash strava koms?
    2, How do your legs feel if you want to quit? Do you feel burn or it is rather weakness in muscles? How is your breathing? Are you breathing hard or breathing is stable but only your muscles give-up?

But 1.5 year of riding a bike should be more than enough. I remember a track rider who has 2000W sprint has FTP of 240W so the proportion is quite similar. But not being able with ease 15 min sst intervals has probably bo relation to phenotype but the issue is somewhere else.

Yeah if you can’t do SST it’s because your estimated ftp is way off. It has nothing to do w being inclined to sprint or be a climber, etc.
@hdas ‘s point is that if you’re a great sprinter, focus on being a great sprinter. Not much point in trying to be a climber (or whatever)