How to optimise training this winter

The two Garmin metrics that seem to be somewhat erratic are status (overreaching, productive, etc) and estimated recovery time. I don’t see overreaching very often, but it seems to appear when I take a 1+ week break from cycling and then resume riding 5 days a week. If you train consistently, and get plenty of low aerobic (not something you see with many TR plans), then looking at Status for 6 months or 1 year is interesting. But not for day to day.

Your HR could be normal if its a hilly ride and you are punching it up the hills.

HR can be more individual. That ride has an Intensity Factor of 84%, and a HR of 150 on HRmax of 182 could be normal.

One way to reduce HR is to increase FTP. Another is to build a bigger aerobic engine, which in my experience requires a bit more time than 5 hours/week. I’ve seen good results on building a bigger aerobic engine on 6-8 hours/week, and it was done on the backbone of more zone2 endurance rides. It is not intuitive, but the saying ‘go slow to get fast’ does work.

For another point-of-view here is an article from a UK coach:

Worth a read, and if you keep reading there is an example 5-8 hour week.

Not IME…for most people in your situation, I would recommend Traditional Base. You just need to log the hours to build the base.

That said, given your limited time to train, I would agree with those who have recommended SSB vs. TB. With the number of hours you have available, Sweet Spot work will be more beneficial…and if you find the additional odd hour or two during the week to get some extra riding in, just do some Z2 / aerobic rides.

1 Like

That’s a pretty intense ride for nearly 3.5 hours at an IF of 84%. I’m not surprised your average HR is up at 82% of your max for that level. For reference an endurance ride is usually done with an IF of around 75%. So you might want to dial it down a bit for those longer rides if you want to recover faster. Rides at this kind of intensity for 3+ hours are going to accumulate significant fatigue. While Garmin can sometimes be way off the mark, in this case it’s probably not far off being true.

Pretty tough to go slower… I can only generally ride slow when doing gravel.

Presumably I will get significant benefits from rides like this, provided I can recover sufficiently before the next one?

Biggest factor for me was my arse.

1hr indoor was/is hard going on the butt… probably equivalent to 6rs+ outdoors for me (even with same saddle)

1 Like