How to increase Q factor?

Hi all

What are the best ways to increase Q factor on a bike? The only thing I can’t change are the pedals as I’m stuck with my vectors.

Thanks!

Depends how much you want. You can use washers on the pedal thread, so long as it leaves sufficient thread engaged. Likely only able to get a mm or so here each side if the ends of the pedal spindle are machined out for a hex head. If they were solid and it used a pedal spanner to fit then I would trust it more.

You can also get pedal extensions if you need a lot of increase, the pedal screws into them and they screw into the crank.

Lots of cash here but a seller I would trust. Loads available on eBay or Amazon for a lot less.

Other option is cleats. I assume though you already moved them as far to the side as they can go?

2 Likes

You could get the original IQ2 power meters. They don’t work, but they increase the spindle length. I’m sure those could be bought really cheap.

2 Likes

I bought axle extenders like the ones linked on SJS above, but from Amazon for £10. They seem plenty good enough quality

1 Like

Wouldn’t those start to mess with power readings? Also I’ve seen some broken cranks with extenders used, I think some of the hollow carbon ones advise against running extenders specifically.

1 Like

@TRusername

Posting on this thread resulted in Google suggesting this article to me - is quite good?

https://blog.bikefit.com/bicycle-stance-width/

1 Like

Wonder if you could also run a wider BB (eg a 73 on a 68 frame) and use spacers between the BB and the cranks. Bit of a hack, and depends if the is enough Q factor increase for you.

Should be safer an carbon cranks than using pedal axle extenders.

1 Like

Wider BB might lead to front shifting issues, with the chain rings moved out. Could affect chain line and related issues. Maybe not enough distance change to matter, but it’s a consideration.

1 Like