How much should one worry about cassette weight?

Gotcha…sounds like it’s worth the extra cash. Thanks!

1 Like

FWIW, I’ve had pretty great luck with e*thirteen cassettes (both a TRS 11 speed and the new 12 speed Helix), but I’m a lighter rider (115-120 lbs), so that very well may be an important factor to keep in mind. I have no idea if that contributes to my more positive experiences than others, as I’m likely putting less force on the cassette when shifting under load for instance, but I certainly suspect it could. I’ve been very happy with GX Eagle and the 12 speed Helix so far though on my MTB.

2 Likes

1 liter of water weights 1 kg. Just saying …

1 Like

Sure, but if I said do you want to ride 2500g wheels or 1500g gram wheels for 20% more cash, it makes for a bit of a dilemma :thinking:

Nothing wrong with optimising your gear. It’s not either or in terms of “extra” weight.

You do you. It’s just as important to feel fast :wink:.

1 Like

I have 5000 miles and 500 hours on an XX1 cassette and it still works flawlessly.

2 Likes

Just curious … how many chains in that time?

Two. Started with chain 1 - an XX1 on a 32T chain ring. Shortened that to run with a 30T chain ring. Went back to 32T ring and bought chain 2 - an XO1. Now back to a 30T chain ring and original chain 1. Still showing less than 0.50% wear.

The XX1 and XO1 drivetrains have amazing longevity when taken care of.

2 Likes

If you buy the argument about “wheel weight” which is completely wrong… the weight of the cassette is closer to the hub, not the rim, so it wouldn’t impact the “wheel weight theory”.

For a dual suspension MTB, that extra weight would add “unsprung mass” to your rear triangle, but I can’t see this being of concern.

For maneuverability, my experience with an Alfine 11 gear-hub leads me to believe this would be the largest impact as the bike weight itself can get heavily unbalanced to the rear when you’re trying to do detailed, finesse moves / bunny hops while standing.

1 Like

Well, in my case, I have zero finesse :rofl::rofl::rofl: so I won’t sweat any extra cassette weight! Thanks for the tips!!

I really noticed the Alfine hub (1665gr) vs SRAM road (600gr hub, RD, and Cassette??) on my city bike. That extra 2.2lb back there made the bike harder to adjust standing at stop lights and to carry.

I think GX Eagle is +250gr over road short cage 11, but I can’t see 100gr of cassette making a difference worth talking about. I’d take durability and shifting… I’d actually try to go Shimano HG+ in this space, especially if you’re going uphill a lot. You’d need a cassette, chain.

1 Like

Think of it this way: you should always consider the weight of your ass or belly before considering any equipment weight. LOL!
-Hugh

1 Like

As long as you don’t get one of those super cheap boat anchors off of Amazon, I don’t think it matters much. You’re saving weight without the FD, no inner chainring and smaller big ring. Some of that goes into the bigger cassette but you have some wiggle room.

I wen’t 1x on my two road bikes maybe 3 years ago and still enjoy the simplicity.

1 Like

not one millisecond, not even 1 yoctosecond even.

1 Like

Not at all, unless you are pro and getting paid depends on it.